Patrol Markers query

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Greg Bradfield

Re: Patrol Markers query

Post by Greg Bradfield »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:48 am

There is no minimum deployment distance from HIS markers as such - only a minimum of 6" from YOUR patrol markers
So if your lines did not cross any suitable terrain in that diagram above you need more terrain on your table!! :D
I agree with TT here it should not have influenced your placement to much if you had enough terrain crossing your lines.

chris cornwell

Post by chris cornwell »

I’m with TT on this one.
I’d have thought “You cheesy little fecker” ....I might have even asked him if he REALLY wanted to do that...and if he said yes I’d have taken him to the cleaners (in the wargaming sense) making sure that I pulled him up on every single tiny rule violation he made, and used all the tricks in the book against him.... he wouldn’t do it again.

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss »

What TT said to a word (except the bit about playing for only 45 years - you utter newb, TT!). ;-)

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

Gamey but potentially very stupid, because as soon as you have an inkling what he is trying to do, you should close up a free patrol marker to the locked down friendly marker, so that the 2 closest markers he has to choose from give him only one line of deployment.

Secondly as the defender playing the Probe scenario, you choose your base edge. Most players would always choose the short edge, because (1) It gives the attacker more ground to cover (2) it gives the defender a narrower frontage to cover (3) his free moves in the Patrol phase will not get him as far up the table!. Two JOP's up and one back is always a good ploy for Probe!

Seret

Post by Seret »

Quackstheking wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:31 am
Two JOP's up and one back is always a good ploy for Probe!
Or even one-up, two back. Even if you were force into having them all on your own table edge it wouldn't be the end of the world for defending against a probe. The attacker will still be starting half a table away (over 3 feet, usually) and have a lot of ground to cover.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I suspect the OP did not realise you could choose a short table edge for that mission - it is not obvious from the rule book.

eatU4myT

Post by eatU4myT »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:48 am
I suspect the OP did not realise you could choose a short table edge for that mission - it is not obvious from the rule book.
Correctly suspected! :) Useful to know for the future.

I must say, now a bit of time has passed after the game, that it wasn't really as big a deal as I felt at the time. The game was reasonably even - as people have said starting on your base line isn't so bad defending a Probe, and I had a good spread across the table width. I've learnt that I can choose a short table edge to defend, and I've seen a new trick that I can deal with better in the future. Maybe it was even a good thing! Still felt pretty grumpy during and immediately after the game...