COC: Soviet infantry questions

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

JimLeCat

COC: Soviet infantry questions

Post by JimLeCat »

Hi Richard,

Could you answer the following:-

Can Soviet squads be put on Overwatch and, if so, how many CI does it cost?

Can Soviet squads carry out an Ambush?

How big can a Scout detachment from a Soviet squad be - on first deployment on table? On subsequent detachment?

Cheers,
Jim

EvilGinger

Re: COC: Soviet infantry questions

Post by EvilGinger »

I don't think there is a limit but sensibly scout detachments tend to be small teams so I would never want to make them much bigger then say four

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

agent_pumpkin

Post by agent_pumpkin »

The ambush paragraph does state that it can only be a single team that ambushes. I would say then that only Soviet Scout Squads can use this as they are in two teams of four.(Other than the smaller, lighter support weapon teams of course.)

I would of thought that a leader can put a squad onto overwatch using 2 ci's, but Rich may want to confirm that.
Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

If I remember correctly, teams don't have a specific size, you can break squads up into teams of your choosing. Should you do the latter, I don't see why these teams could not go onto Overwatch. Technically they can't Ambush as that can only be done by a team and a team can only break up on table.

Seems a bit daft, they should be able to ambush

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Did they historically split the squad and ambush by "team", or were whole squads used?

seldon

Post by seldon »

Well, although the actions description says that when you go to the overwatch details it explains that the NCO could put the whole squad in overwatch but that it simply would require using both his initiatives ( one per team )...

So it could be another case where this is a difference between two team squads and one team squads, it might just take him one action to put the whole squad in overwatch since it is only formed by one team..

this going back to what Rich said that the one team squads were not better or worse, just different, like only getting one shock when they run...

eager to see what the big man has to say about this... good questions !!!

Also the scout question is of a lot of interest to me...

cheers
Francisco

Palafox

Post by Palafox »

To be honest I do not see too much difference.

As Francisco already points, it could take just one initiative putting all the squad in overwatch. But the squad couldn't do anything else, so having the full squad "overwatching" just one direction is in fact a huge limitation which I think highlights the different approaches to the tactics. The other action of the junior leader could just go to remove some shock.

Palafox

Post by Palafox »

BTW, a full russian squad on ambush can be very damaging. But that's also fine by me. Russians good at ambushing and terrible on maneouvring and operating on the battlefield.

JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat »

Hi Rich,

Just bumping this thread so you don't miss it in the pile! :)

Cheers,
Jim