share your house rules?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

share your house rules?

Postby stew » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:59 pm

my first game of KMH will be this weekend. I'm wondering if anyone has some essential house rule that they always use that improves the game that i would like to be aware of..

i've also thought of a few that i'll share;no idea if these are any good..

"Let Fly!" in order to stop quickly, sailors undue all the sails. stop next turn from any speed, this turn move at current speed -1 to die rolls (or just -1 cm if in basic), next turn stationary. takes an additional turn of being stationary to reset the sails (so need to spend 2 activations being stationary) in which ship will drift. accelerate as normal.

"Full Sail" Ship puts on more sails to increase speed. +1d6 to all moves. however rigging takes more damage; if hit in the hull, each 6 not only does a DP but also a secondary speed box; if hit in the rigging each 5 and 6 will cause a secondary speed box hit.

"fire as she bears" players can play a reserved fire card whenever they like, even during movement.
(this is actually unclear in the rules, and i would bet that most people do it this way anyway).

anyway, just thoughts that I was having that i wanted to share and get maybe some tips for hosting my first game, things that other people do.
thanks!

-Stewart
stew

Re: share your house rules?

Postby Archdukek » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi Stewart,
Welcome to Kiss Me Hardy, I am sure that you will enjoy playing the rules. They always produce an incident filled game for us.

My advice is to play the rules as written before leaping in with house rules which may prove unneccessary once you have actual experience of how the rules work. There is in fact a fine balance in the rules which brings out the difference in sailing quality of the different nationalities which your first two suggestions would cut across.

I find the rules in paragraph 6.4 to be more than adequate for increasing and decreasing speed with the better sailors being able to handle their vessels much more handily than those poor land lubbers who will struggle to avoid collisions when formations are broken. At the same time even elite Jolly Jack Tars cannot entirely counter the physics of momentum when the wind is on the quarter.

As to "Firing as she Bears", that is not allowed. Nick Sknner confirmed very early on that a reserved fire card can only be used as the next card and not in the middle of a move, either your own or your enemy. This forces you to exercise some tactical judgement as to when it is best to fire either before or after movement. Do I play it now when only some of my squadron has a target or do I wait for later when everyone may have a shot for example?

Allowing a ship to fire whenever it wants remove some of the drama from the game as your very own Captian Aubrey eludes the fire of the damned French by a cunning manoeuvre.

The one occasion we do permit ships holding a reserved fire card to fire as they bear is when they are moving perpendicularly across the bow or stern of an enemy vessel, in other words performing a rake. This is more generous than the rules permit but we like the added drama!

Enjoy your game,

John
Archdukek

Postby stew » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback, you have been most helpful. :D I had the game and played rules as written so to speak.

ultimately, while I find the parts of the rules that are vague somewhat irritating, the game was good and fun and it was a positive experience. :P

blog post about it for those inclined to further reading.
https://tllw.blogspot.com/2017/08/inter ... ss-me.html
stew

Postby Archdukek » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:42 pm

Interesting report, glad you enjoyed your first game.
KMH was one of the earliest TFL rule sets and is a bit vague in places, but we have never found it a problem working out the intent and it's well worth the effort.

John
Archdukek

Return to Kiss Me Hardy