tacking...?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

tacking...?

Postby stew » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:49 pm

I'm getting into AoS, bought these rules and seem like fun, but I don't quite get how tacking is supposed to work.

I imagine that a ship in Bow will use the turning wheel to turn into the wind until facing directly into it, at which point it takes Tack test. on a perfect or successful tack you ship rotates in place until facing 45 degrees; then on a perfect tack will continue with any remaining movement and on successful just stay put. about right?

on failure, I imagine the ships stays put in the dead zone. does it take a taken aback / dead zone test immediately? next turn? or on next turn just drift backward to the previous heading and try to tack again later on in the game?

thanks for help! it's just vague enough in my mind to annoy me and make me fuss over it.

-Stew
stew

Re: tacking...?

Postby Archdukek » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:06 pm

Hi Stew,
Welcome to Kiss Me Hardy. They are a fun set of rules to play and make it easy to handle squadrons rather than have to stick to single ship actions.

Tacking is actually easier than you suggest. A ship uses the Turning circle until it is heading on a bearing along the boundary between 'On the Bow' and 'Deadzone'. At that point it takes the Tack test and if successful you simply pivot on its stern through 90 degrees so that it is now on a bearing along the opposite boundary of the 'Deadzone'. If it's a perfect tack it continues moving, otherwise it's move ends there.
Failure in the test means the ship remains on the originally bearing along the boundary between the zones, but next turn it is becalmed and stays on that bearing. It doesn't enter the Deadzone so doesn't have to test for being taken aback.

Ships can voluntarily attempt to sail closer to the wind and try to move on a bearing which takes them into the Deadzone but then they have to take the test prescribed in 6.7. If you are a Sloop with a base speed of 16 you might get away with it without damage since you would need a roll of 17 or 18 to be taken aback. However, on average a 1st rate is likely to fail and most ships of the line run the high risk of losing their foremast and could be badly damaged.

Hope that helps,

John
Archdukek

Postby stew » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:28 pm

thanks, I think I see what you are saying.

Ship doesn't technically enter the dead zone, so is not taken aback.

-Stew
stew

Postby Archdukek » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:09 pm

Yes that's right.

John
Archdukek

Return to Kiss Me Hardy