Firing at multiple targets query

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Last Hussar

Firing at multiple targets query

Post by Last Hussar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:06 am

Can we have some clarifications please - caused some confusion last Wednesday, all about how to split fire.

1) How close do units have to be to mean the firer must split hits? The rules use 'Continuous line' - does this mean touching?

2) If two different units have different to hit numbers, how do you allocate? Is it like if one was in cover, you split dice? For example an artillery battery in a line of infantry.

3) Splitting dice - By gamesmanship, it is possible to place units so that both become near impossible to hit. For instance a 4 gun CSA battery that is forced to split dice at Effective range can not hit a unit (except on enfilade) if it is next to a unit in different cover. If they are both in cover then it doesn't split its dice, so can add them and split the hits. The same goes for 4 stand infantry units at some targets.

Related note- Multiple regiments firing at same targets - resolve each separately, or roll all the dice?

John Thomas8

Re: Firing at multiple targets query

Post by John Thomas8 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:29 am

Last Hussar wrote:Can we have some clarifications please - caused some confusion last Wednesday, all about how to split fire.

1) How close do units have to be to mean the firer must split hits? The rules use 'Continuous line' - does this mean touching?
I count a continuous line as one formed by regiments within 2" of each other.
2) If two different units have different to hit numbers, how do you allocate? Is it like if one was in cover, you split dice? For example an artillery battery in a line of infantry.
High first, the leftover applied to other targets as necessary.
3) Splitting dice - By gamesmanship, it is possible to place units so that both become near impossible to hit. For instance a 4 gun CSA battery that is forced to split dice at Effective range can not hit a unit (except on enfilade) if it is next to a unit in different cover. If they are both in cover then it doesn't split its dice, so can add them and split the hits. The same goes for 4 stand infantry units at some targets.
I'd never allow that kind of gamesmanship attempt. Depending on the player's behaviour prior, I might even allow the shots minus the cover problem. Otherwise, I'd use the rules and shoot it that way. If one target is in cover and one isn't, I'd allocate as above, high first and the leftover applied as possible.
Related note- Multiple regiments firing at same targets - resolve each separately, or roll all the dice?
Separately.

Last Hussar

Re: Firing at multiple targets query

Post by Last Hussar » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:13 pm

I was considering allocating lowest first - so the easiest units to hit get more hits, as that seems more likely.