Cautious Commanders directly ordered by C in C

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Ricey

Cautious Commanders directly ordered by C in C

Post by Ricey » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:25 pm

Good Evening Ladies and Gents

I played my first solo familiarisation game of elephant a couple of nights ago and mostly it went swimmingly.
There was only one point I wasn't sure of: If the Cautious/Political card is out, can a cautious commander who is 'given' the C in C's turn (rather than had his card drawn) move his men?

I could see two ways of playing it:
1. That a messenger (or personal visit from!) the commander in chief with orders to move your formation and be quick about it, would overcome the natural caution of the subordinate commander. Thus movement would be permitted.
2. A cautious commander , if they wished, could dissemble, prevaricate or affect to misunderstand the order until the vital moment has passed. Thus no movement.

In terms of pure Rules as written, I felt movement should be allowed as the cautious card only specifies the next commander whose card is drawn. However I have been playing TFL rules long enough not to take RAW as my final arbiter ;)

Personally I played movement to be allowed as the Cautious commander could clearly see from his position that the movement held minimal risk and would split the enemy line (also they were early war confederate troops, so aggression seemed more appropriate).

Have I missed something in the rules that clears this up? Or does anyone want to support or argue with my reasoning or conclusions?
I thoroughly enjoyed the game and intend to play more, so I want to make sure I am playing in line with the authors intent and the community at large's interpretation.

Ricey

sunjester

Re: Cautious Commanders directly ordered by C in C

Post by sunjester » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:48 am

We play a game tonight and took it that the cautious commander could not move any of his units. Our thoughts were that the CinC passing his turn on to the cautious commander did not change that individual's nature!

Graham

Ricey

Post by Ricey » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:43 pm

Cheers, that makes as least as much sense as the way I played it (arguably more, but it was my first run with the rules)
It will probably not come up again as I'll be more wary of my cautious/political commanders. Which seems apt for the period :)
Ricey

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:59 pm

Naw, doesn't matter how the Cautious Commander is activated, either by his own card or a superiour, if there's a CC card out, he doesn't move his troops. No skirting the effects of the card.

Ricey

Post by Ricey » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:46 pm

Not an attempt to skirt the effects of the card I assure you.
Just genuinely unsure if it was intended to apply in the situation I found myself.
By all accounts it seems it should have and I played it wrong.

This is why I like to run the kinks out with a few solo plays before I try to run a set of rules for other people.
Ricey

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:51 pm

Ya, I try to solo things before taking games public, or work with somebody who knows it's a "work the kinks out" kind of game.

Watch giving one side or the other too many command pips/too little troops to command when setting up scenarios. I learned the hard way, giving a CSA force a Gifted/Professional division commander and two G/P/I brigade commanders and only 5 regiments and 1 set of arty and another of cav. That force was down right unstoppable. Hand out things lightly....to just about where when rolling a DAv dice they may or may not be able to activate every thing under their command. Makes things far more interesting.