Couple of queries....

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

SteveT

Couple of queries....

Post by SteveT » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:26 pm

Hi all,

two hopefully quick queries..
- are the firing adjustments on page 23 added to each die thrown or to the total of the dice thrown? ie if throwing 3 die would I add +1 for being veteran or +3?
- I can't find any definition of what comprises a 100% or 50% overlap in the decisive combat rules?

Thanks
Steve

sunjester

Re: Couple of queries....

Post by sunjester » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:42 pm

The rules say "Add up the total score of all the dice firing. Now check the modifiers on the next table and adjust the score accordingly." We interpret that as +1 to the total, not per die.

50% overlap means overlap on 1 side, 100% overlap = overlap on both sides.

Graham

Kevin Fisher

Post by Kevin Fisher » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:06 pm

Hi Steve,

The overlap is actually based upon how many bases each unit has. As an example if a unit has 2 bases then it will be overlapped by 50% by a 3 base unit and 100% by a 4 base unit. It is not based upon whether a unit is overlapped on one or both sides. As an example a 5 base unit in contact with a 7 base unit that has an overlapping base on each end will not overlap the 5 base unit by even 50% - in fact it is a 40% overlap.

Thanks, Kevin.

sunjester

Post by sunjester » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:57 pm

Hi Kevin,

Can you explain where you are getting your definition from within the rules? I'm afraid I don't see any difference between your definition of "overlapped" and outnumbered, which already has separate factors in combat.
I don't know if I'm misunderstanding you but you seem to be saying that a 4 stand unit fighting a 2 stand unit would get +2 for a 100% overlap (because they have twice as many stands) and +1 for outnumbering by 2:1 (because the have twice as many stands).

Graham

Kevin Fisher

Post by Kevin Fisher » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:51 am

Hi Graham,

Sorry for the delay as I only check this forum infrequently. They are different factors. The overlap has been clarified as per page 4 number 19 in the TCHAE FAQ v2 pdf which is in the Files section of the Yahoo Group in the folder 'Elephant'. The overlap is based on the number of bases but be careful when fighting skirmishers in rough ground. The advantage in numbers is for the actual number of figures and not bases. As an example if you have 4 bases against 2 bases with no casualties then you have 16 versus 8 figures which will give a 2:1 advantage. If the 4 base unit has taken 2 casualties then it will have 14 figures and will no longer have a 2:1 advantage but would still have a 100% overlap. It would also have a -1 for 10% casualties. Note that guns, cavalry and skirmishers have either a different number of figures on a base or have a different base width.

Thanks, Kevin.

sunjester

Post by sunjester » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:29 pm

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for that, I looks like I'd better go to the Yahoo group and download that FAQ.

Graham