Lots of varying reports on LFS

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

John Thomas8

Re: Lots of varying reports on LFS

Post by John Thomas8 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:20 pm

But I can't take mine out in public until I get some arty painted up. Right now I play solo using 1/72 ACW stands....eeek

Magpie

Post by Magpie » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:17 pm

This makes me feel like I'm not putting in enough effort given that I am looking at 15mm for my Napoleonics.

I'd love to do 28mm but I don't think I have enough room to game at that scale
CoC Calculator (Excel spreadsheet to calc platoon and list levels)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvpypn0mi75y7 ... .xlsx?dl=0

Post additions/corrections to the CoC Calcualtor
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4423

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:59 am

Naw, you're fine. You make it fun for you, we're (most of us anyway) not competing for the having the most, we just want to play and learn the period.

Magpie

Post by Magpie » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:51 am

Can you do LFS in 28mm on a 6 x 4, maybe 9 x 5 ?
CoC Calculator (Excel spreadsheet to calc platoon and list levels)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvpypn0mi75y7 ... .xlsx?dl=0

Post additions/corrections to the CoC Calcualtor
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4423

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:54 am

I do, but with maybe a division of small brigades a side. If I want to get more out, I go 4x8

SteveBurt

Post by SteveBurt » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:52 am

1000 Napoleonics is really not that many. You need about that number for a big battle.
I've got at least that many 28mm Napoleonics, and I wouldn't say I have a large collection.
I don't have Austrians, Russians, and Prussians, for a start!
It's not even the period for which I have the most 28mm figures - that would be ancients, there's at least 5000 of them spread across about a dozen armies.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:06 pm

I have a bit of all the major players. For LFS, about 2 divisions apiece. Where I've "gone wild" is WWII and ACW in 1/72. 10,000+ ACW and nearly 5,000 WWII. :oops:

bvera

Post by bvera » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:00 pm

Magpie wrote:Hi guys, I see it is a fairly common question but I'll ask again any way.

Without really getting into an assessment of other games, is LFS an enjoyable game given the size of forces it represents ?

I'm wanting to do Napoleonics, but I think Sharp's Practise would be too much like CoC with a change of uniforms so I'm wanting to do larger games, more fitting of the epic style of Napoleonic battles, using 18mm figures.
I just caught this thread now
We have been playing SP for some time now and I must admitt it did not capture aour imagination as Chain of Command did. We found skirmish is OK if playing FIW or AWI, but it's not so exciting with Napoleonics. The mindset is that Napoleonics = moving mass troops in decetly large table; nothing to do with the rules themselves, it's a problem of the scale not fitting our taste to play Naopleonics (although Carlists War for SP is a project we shall work this autumn-winter season)

We have given a try to GBCoC and liked very much the system overall, but lately the developer has been quiet and the group is slowly dying; we fear that the project will go nowhere and will not committ ourselves fully to it if there are no signs that it will go ahead in full force.

In the meantime we are considering other large battle rules sets. The latest was Age of Eagles (played yesterday) and although far from the typlical TFL design, I could play a decently large historical battle (Vimeiro) at brigade-sized scale, with historical OOBs and knowing nothing about the rules (just applying common sense and my knowledge about the period tactics) in 3,5 hours on a Sunday morning. Looks promising.
Benito
...and visit my blog! http://mylardiesgames.blogspot.com.es/

SteveBurt

Post by SteveBurt » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:37 pm

For larger battles, we use Lasalle for up to a division a side.
Blucher is excellent for army level games (each unit is a brigade, so you can fight a battle like Quatre Bras in a couple of hours; you can do Austerlitz in about 4 hours if you have a big enough table).

I wouldn't call Vimiero a very big battle - you can play that using sets like Shako or Lasalle, which have battalions as units.

We have tried LFS but we found it pretty slow going; the rules are good, but they are quite detailed, and having to track battalions when fighting with corps-sized forces is quite slow.

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:04 am

We have tried LFS but we found it pretty slow going; the rules are good, but they are quite detailed, and having to track battalions when fighting with corps-sized forces is quite slow.

SteveBurt

Try the Empire trick of using a brigade area and move the Brigade.
It's a very flexible system, but you need to think how brigades and divisions moved I use Age of Eagles for very big battles.
As I play Solo, I'm working on a theatre campaign system.
I was reading Fortescue on the 23 yrs war in Europe 1740 to 1763 and that's where you see what manoeuvre was about in the low countries.
There is a Kevin Zucker board game I have an Original but there's one or two later versions knocking about second hand it's by Operational Studies Group and it's called 1814 all about Napoleons Campaign East of Paris from February to May 1814.

The beauty of it is there are no units on the board, only Generals.
The Stoke Wargames Group played the campaign on the board and fought it out on the table. I learned more from that than almost any other single game, and yes I almost caught Blucher at Brienne. He scaped out but lost 30% of his force. Later Sacken got caught on the road strung out. Surprise is everything. As Napoleon I still lost. Attrition! Win almost every battle by picking where you can win but You Have to beat Swarzenburg to win.