Lots of varying reports on LFS

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Magpie

Lots of varying reports on LFS

Post by Magpie » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:03 am

Hi guys, I see it is a fairly common question but I'll ask again any way.

Without really getting into an assessment of other games, is LFS an enjoyable game given the size of forces it represents ?

I'm wanting to do Napoleonics, but I think Sharp's Practise would be too much like CoC with a change of uniforms so I'm wanting to do larger games, more fitting of the epic style of Napoleonic battles, using 18mm figures.
CoC Calculator (Excel spreadsheet to calc platoon and list levels)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvpypn0mi75y7 ... .xlsx?dl=0

Post additions/corrections to the CoC Calcualtor
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4423

Zippee

Re: Lots of varying reports on LFS

Post by Zippee » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:36 pm

yes but it is a sizeable start up project - for epic size Napoleonics you might want to try Blucher.

But if you do go with LFS, I would advise seriously considering 10mm over 15mm

Although of course most of my LFS stuff is actually 6mm

More of that under my sig

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:28 pm

I've not played LFS and have rarely found a 'big battle' set of Napoleonic rules that have allowed me to play a decent game to a successful conclusion in less than 2 days!

SP plays very differently to CofC. If you're thinking of 15/18mm Napoleonics, I'd substitute a stand of 4 infantry or 2-3 cavalry figures for each 28mm figure in a Group and play the rules 'as is' with each Group representing a battalion, and the Leaders become battalion and brigade commanders - visually, it'll look good and still be manageable: the typical force of 6-7 Groups is going to need no more than 200-220 figures, with 32 figures per battalion and 16-24 cavalry per regiment.

I've done the same with some old ACW stuff I had, based for Fire & Fury, and plan to do the same for AWI games sometime early next year. Tempted by Napoleonics in 15mm but already got some 28mm skirmish forces for that, but I suspect I'll be drawn in by one of the more obscure campaigns at some point.

Zippee

Post by Zippee » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:36 pm

With a bit of practice we play (as does Daz) LFS with an average turn length of 15 minutes which equates to real time. Perfectly possible to play significant games in 3 hours or so.

But if you really want to play a full on multi corps battle then Blucher will do it quickly and slickly - more so than anything else on the market currently.

SP is a great game but it's a significantly different size of game, I don't see it as a comparative option to LFS. And bathtubbing it up with multi-bases and calling them battalions just doesn't work - the game is designed at a lower command level. I've played with multi-bases and that works but still at an effective 1:1 scale instead of the 1:5 to 1:10 nominal scale of SP.

Besides the latest iteration of Napoleonic rules from TFL is GB-COC

Magpie

Post by Magpie » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:17 pm

Zippee wrote:Besides the latest iteration of Napoleonic rules from TFL is GB-COC

Is there a release date set for that ?
What are the details for it?

I'm not really looking at the super huge scale of Blucher, but something more where you are looking at multiple battalions.

18mm will be the scale I will use as there is an Australian supplier, AB models. 6mm is way too tiny for me.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:26 am

There is no release date for General Bonaparte Meets Chain of Command (GB-COC) (working title). The rules are still under development. Some of us are involved in playtesting the current version 2.6.

It is a Divisional level game in which the player acts as the Commander of an infantry Division plus supports. The manoeuvre elements are battalions controlled through a hierarchy of Commanders from the battalion through regimental colonels to Brigadiers and the Divisional Commander, each of which may be activated depending on the results of the Command dice rolled. (The adoption of Command dice was inspired by CoC hence the reference in the title, but it is firmly a Napoleonic game.)

As is common in TFL games the focus is on Leadership and how you use your commanders is critical to success. Random movement is the norm and a Shock mechanic is used to monitor unit cohesion and determine how long night a unit can stay in the fight. Tactical bonuses bring out the differences in how different nationalities fight.

The primary focus of the rules is on the French Revolutionary Wars but the author reckons that they could be used up to and including the Peninsular War an assessment I would agree with. I've also tested it for the 1809 campaigns, AWI and US-Mexican War. The key is developing appropriate Tactical Bonuses for the period being gamed.

The author uses 15mm figures which are fine on a 6'x4' table. I use 28mm and prefer a minimum 10'x5'.

John

PS I would agree with Simon that SP2 is nothing like Chain of Command in how it plays, however, I disagree with him about it handling higher level Napoleonic tactics, I'm with Zippee on that one There is no reason why you couldn't use your 18mm figures to play SP as you build up your forces.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:31 am

I've around 1,000 28mm troops for this era and found that LFSv3 plays quite well.

There's a really nice write up in one of the 2005 Christmas Special where they did Austerlitz with LFS and played it a day.

Magpie

Post by Magpie » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:33 am

John Thomas8 wrote:I've around 1,000 28mm troops for this era
:o

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:14 am

I got lucky, caught two folks downsizing to 15mm and wanting to move some metal. :shock: :D

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:09 pm

I refuse to count up how many 28mm Napoleonics I have in case the evidence is used against me! :D

John