Casualties in combat

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Giogames

Casualties in combat

Post by Giogames » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:04 am

If 2 units in column attack a line, but dice roll was unlucky, with a "hD" result, do EACH attacking unit take 2 casualty (total 4), or attacking unit divide the casualties (1 each)?
My friend think different from me and we need an official answer for continue the battle.
Thanks in advance.
Gio

John Thomas8

Re: Casualties in combat

Post by John Thomas8 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:42 am

Two columns attacking only 1 unit in a line? From the rules, on page 32-35, 1 unit is the attacker, one is support. Only the attacking unit takes casualties, but the other other column may have to roll a moral check, depending on whether the attacking column routes.

Giogames

Post by Giogames » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:57 pm

Hi John,
in the examples (rules pag.39), you can attack an infantry line with 2 (or 3) column of infantry...
I think you divide losses between attacking units.

Zippee

Post by Zippee » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:32 pm

Losses are for the 'loser' and 'winner' not the unit, so the units that lost that combat take that loss. In other words spread the loss across all units in contact.

Generally throwing multiple units into contact is a high risk strategy as all units in combat suffer the combat outcome whereas supports merely retire to 4" or actually shelter the combat units. If you commit multiple units and supports you are committing and risking a brigade to a single combat - if it goes badly it goes very badly.

It's far better to attack with a single unit, accept the outnumbering/overlap penalty. Support it and pin enemy supports out of the combat and if you have them available support with local artillery (unlike supporting infantry/cavalry you can have as many batteries in support as you can muster). That will knock you a hole in the enemy line and leave you with fresh units to exploit it. If it fails, you have fresh units to go again. One hole in a line leads to a domino effect if you have the fresh units to back it up.

A large multi-unit scrum may look good and aggressive but really it's a lottery with little tactical finesse.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:10 pm

I would say, looking at those examples, that is is one roll divided between the targets, rather than all per each unit attacking.

Zippee

Post by Zippee » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:52 pm

Casualties aren't a roll John, they are a pre-set value depending on the combat outcome.

With a hD or lD result, the loser takes 2 casualties and the winner 1 (or less if all cavalry) spread as equally as possible across all units in contact.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:54 am

Aye, but the two casualties taken should be divided between the two attacking columns rather than assigned to one only.

Zippee

Post by Zippee » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:03 pm

Yep,
As I've repeatedly said.