Basing

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

DougE

Basing

Post by DougE » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:07 am

I have 15mm French and Austrian for Avalon Hills Napoleon's Battles, plus I have LFS which I have to play. Problem is, I'm not sure how to use what I have that is based for NB for LFS. Basing as is for NB...

Command Officers- 2x2
Bridge officers- 1x1
Infantry- 3/4 x 1 (4 figures each)
Cavalry- 1x2 ( 4 figures each)
Artillery- 2x1 (number of figures depends on the cannon used)

How can a person play LFS with this type of basing?
Is it or would it be best to play LFS as per the basing suggestions?

Thanks,

Doug
Thanks,

Doug

Zippee

Re: Basing

Post by Zippee » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:43 am

Unusual basing only really effects combat in terms of overlap and morale in terms of unit strength.

On the Yahoo group there are a number of files that list all the possible overlaps - they assist with playing with unusual base sizes.

Ultimately all you really need to know is that cavalry in do not 100% overlap infantry in column, beyond that common sense and a understanding on what the rules expect to generate in terms of overlap will suffice.

As long as you are consistent you shouldn't have any issues - you will probably need to use a roster or some other system for recording casualties and unit strength as number of figures won't match but that's not a major hardship.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:58 pm

If I were to base my Austrians and French per LFS basing, what would be the sizes for infantry, artillery, officers? I didn't quite understand what was being said in the rules.
Cavalry sounds like they are on 1x1.

Doug
Thanks,

Doug

Zippee

Post by Zippee » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:56 am

In 15mm infantry are 8mm per figure, so a 12 fig battalion would be 12*8 = 96mm (an 18 fig = 144mm). Cavalry are 12.5mm per figure, so an 8 fig unit would be 8*12.5 = 100mm.

So a French battalion would be 2 bases of 4 figs (each 32mm) and 2 bases of 2 figs (16mm each).

An Austrian/Prussian/Russian 12 fig btn would be 4 bases of 3 figs (each 24mm). An Austrian 18 fig btn would be 6 bases of 3 figs (each 24mm).

Artillery are 6mm per real gun - so a 6 gun battery is 36mm, an 8 gun battery 48mm, etc

Cavalry are always 8 fig units on 4 bases of 2 figs (each 25mm)

No depths are stipulated, the assumption being you make them as minimal as practical. I'd suggest 15mm for infantry and 25mm for cavalry and artillery in 15mm.

Commanders can be on any size base that works - they are representational markers and not combat elements (20mm, 30mm and 50mm discs work well in 15mm).

As the rules say in 1.8 "The only important thing to get right is that a twelve figure infantry battalion in line does not have double the frontage of a four figure wide cavalry column."

I play in 6mm with twice as many figures per unit and 5mm per fig - so a '12' battalion for me is 120mm with 24 figures on it - cavalry are 16 on 40mm bases. The game still works fine.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:18 pm

Hmm. Thanks for the info Zippee. Thanks.
Got some thinking to do here... :)
Thanks,

Doug