Rout movement

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Archdukek

Re: Rout movement

Post by Archdukek »

I would allow the chargers, but not the evaders, to return at the point they left the table when activated subsequently. However, I wouldn't let them charge into contact from off table.

John
BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

You have much more experience of these rules than I do, but that does seem a little harsh, given that a table edge is purely arbitrary and this is a unit returning after exiting, rather than entering for the first time (surpriiiise!!!). Surely they would be able to see an enemy unit within charge move from just beyond the exit point and be able to proceed accordingly? I can understand not allowing a unit to charge when it first enters the game from off table, but shouldn't it be up to the opposing player to remember if/where an enemy unit exited (and will come back)?
No plan survives first contact with the dice.
Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

I agree with John, letting a unit return from off-table if they pursued an enemy off is probably fine but letting them charge when they come back on is problematic (basically because they cannot be targeted while off the board).
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Baron,
It's a compromise in the interest of playability and to avoid complicated arguments as to where precisely the off table unit is. Why should a unit be able to charge from off table when it cannot be charged itself as Captain Reid points out?

If you have some means to extend your table in these circumstances, then no problem just ignore the table edge. However, most folk don't have that luxury.

John
BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Thanks, you two. That explains the rationale behind it; you would have to track the cavalry whilst "off table" to keep a note of exactly where it was.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.