Leaders directing fire

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Jfuller39

Leaders directing fire

Post by Jfuller39 »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to SP2 (found it through Combat Phase) and have been watching any and all battle reports I can find on YouTube. Specifically I watched Rich on BeastofWar and that got me to buy figures to play for real. I've got a question about Command Initiatives and directing fire.

The way I understand it, a Status I Leader gets one CI and can do a number of things spelled out in the rules. One of those is to direct fire (adding 1d6 to the unit firing) but here's where I'm confused. If that unit is to fire at all...doesn't the Status I Leader need to use his one CI to activate the unit so it can use its two actions? Wouldn't that preclude him from also directing fire?

I ask because in both games on BeastofWar, the players both have Status I Leaders adding dice to firing from a unit they activated and I was confused.

Thanks- Jason

Archie Bacon

Re: Leaders directing fire

Post by Archie Bacon »

It doesn't cost extra init points to direct their fire. He is basically activating the men he is attached to and givng them good strong commands where to fire. So dice equal to his status level can be added to represent him doing so.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

As Archie says, it does not cost an extra CI to add an attached Leader's bonus to the firing dice of a unit he has just activated. He can both order the unit to fire and direct/control the fire so that it is more effective for a single CI.

It would however cost an additional CI to direct a Formation to concentrate its fire on a specific enemy unit within the Formation's firing arc as allowed for in the rule at the foot of page 46.

John

Jfuller39

Post by Jfuller39 »

Thank you both for your quick responses. That makes a lot of sense and I appreciate your help. This ruleset seems outstanding and I'm really excited to give it a try.

Thanks again,
Jason

EvilMonkey

Post by EvilMonkey »

One thing that remains unclear to me is the xd6 bonus for directed fire from a leader vs the wording in the shooting modifier table. In the modifier tables there is no reference whatsoever to 'directed' fire but a suspiciously similar bonus of d6 per leader level for 'controlling' the fire. Are these the same thing with slight wording slip or is the directing fire bonus emitted and this is a different bonus for leaders in formations using controlled fire ( in addition to their +1 to hit). The faq and videos have helped clarify lots of issues but still can't grasp this difference.

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

The simplest way (I think) of looking at it is like this:

If a unit is Activated by a Leader who is attached to it then he automatically adds his dice to the number rolled with no additional CI required.

However if a Leader who is Activating a Unit spends and additional CI he may Direct its fire against a specific enemy unit within the unit's arc of fire. Though hits will be shared with units within 4" of the targeted unit they will not be shared amongst all those within the arc of fire, as is usually the case.

Note that Skirmish Troops automatically Direct their own fire against a specific enemy unit and so never need a Leader's CI to do that.

And change the second bullet point on p.22 to something like:

if a Leader who is Activating a Unit spends and additional CI he may Direct its fire against a specific enemy unit within the unit's arc of fire. Though hits will be shared with units within 4" of the targeted unit they will not be shared amongst all those within the arc of fire, as is usually the case.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

The wording in the shooting modifier table is referring to the bullet point on page 22, just a slightly different word is used but the effect is the same.

John

Goggy

Post by Goggy »

I think I have this right now but can I just check?
1). Skirmishers may fire at any specific unit within range and arc of fire (180 degrees). Any other units within range, line of sight and 4" of the targeted unit will share the hits.
2). A group may fire at any unit within range and arc of fire (180 degrees). All units within its range and arc of fire (180 degrees) share the hits. However, if an extra leaders CI is spent, the firing unit directs the fire at a specific unit. Then, any other units within range, line of sight and 4" , of the targeted unit, or part of the same formation. will share hits.
3). Formations (2) as above, but LOS is straight ahead rather than 180 degrees.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

No Goggy, a group firing is exactly the same as Skirmishers. You pick the target group and fire at it. If the target group is part of a Formation then any hits are shared across the other groups in the Formation. You do not have to share the hits with other units that happen to be in the firing arc.

You are right about Formations.

Basically individual groups, including Skirmishers, are using aimed fire. Formations are firing in volleys as quickly as they can without taking careful aim.

John

Goggy

Post by Goggy »

Ahhh I see, I did have it wrong didn't I. I was getting confused (easy for me) about groups and formations firing. So the hits shared for groups with 4" of a targeted unit is from formation fire only, not skirmishers and groups shooting. They can both select a target and all the hits are on that group, unless that group is part of a formation in which case the hits are shared.

Thanks John.