Good shots firing?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Gunner

Good shots firing?

Post by Gunner »

Hi. New to the game. I see on page 45 there is a table which says “good shots firing” and “poor shots firing”. Where does it tell you which units are good shots and which are not so good.
Many thanks

agent_pumpkin

Re: Good shots firing?

Post by agent_pumpkin »

If you look in the army lists at the back of the book, some units have the characteristics "Poor Shots" or "Good Shots".

Off the top of my head I think its only AWI stuff so far.
Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

As pumpkin says it's listed as a characteristic of some units like French Indian Allies in the FIW, Loyalist Militia in the AWI, Portuguese Fusileros or Sepoy Rabble who are all listed as Poor Shots while Frontiersmen Skirmishers get the Good Shot characteristic.

To be honest I think 1D6 either way makes little difference other than to Skirmishers. It is a negligible penalty for Tribes or Militia who already get more dice because they have more figures than regular Line. However, it does allow for some variation in firing ability.

John

pjconnor

Post by pjconnor »

Completely agree John. I think it was Richard’s reluctant concession to those who were pushing for it. Good and poor shots are really covered by crashing volley and sharp practice.

Personally I like having good and poor shots, but instead of the +1/-1 in the rules, I let good shots reroll 1s and give poor shots two reload markers.

Derek H

Post by Derek H »

pjconnor wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:18 am
think it was Richard’s reluctant concession to those who were pushing for it. Good and poor shots are really covered by crashing volley and sharp practice.
Correct, it's in the rules as a concession to people who think it should be there. But it hardly features at all in the official lists.

You can use it if you want.
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/