Little help here

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Archdukek

Re: Little help here

Post by Archdukek »

Yes Sharp Practice can be both a curse and a blessing if it tempts you into engaging in a firefight instead of moving on to the objective.

In some of our early Peninsular War games the Spanish kept whipping the French Voltigeurs because the French player kept letting himself get sucked into a firefight at long range where the extra numbers of the Spanish had an advantage. The French had to learn to screen his columns and use Pas de Charge. A switch to using French Line helped too. With better quality troops you need to learn how to exploit their strengths.

However, as you say in your OP, every Sharp Practice game is highly entertaining whether you win or lose.

John

shandy

Post by shandy »

In our games, the ratio between attacker and defender victories is pretty balanced. There might be a slight majority of defender victories, but the main pattern I can discern is that it's usually the side I'm playing that loses :-)

In my experience, as an attacker, it's important not to let yourself get drawn into a firefight, especially at long range. Make you first volley count. We normally use Command Cards mainly to remove shock, all the cool special actions come into play only if they really make a difference at the moment.

AFPU

Post by AFPU »

Hi

I am looking at playing this scenario and have found the discussion interesting.

I have one question though, does the attacker have a Primary & Secondary Deployment Point as a matter of course as in the rule book it is not entirely clear?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

AFPU wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:22 pm
Hi

I am looking at playing this scenario and have found the discussion interesting.

I have one question though, does the attacker have a Primary & Secondary Deployment Point as a matter of course as in the rule book it is not entirely clear?
If you are talking about the Defence in Depth scenario then yes both the attacker and defender have a Primary & Secondary Deployment Points. You can still pay for more from your support points.

John

AFPU

Post by AFPU »

Hi John

Many thanks for clarifying.

bunguster

Post by bunguster »

We have also had issues with movement rates in many scenarios and have tried out a small modification that has seen a lot more fluidity in our games.
We make a rule that the first dice used for movement is always a 6 and then roll as usual for a second movement activation.
This does not apply for those situations where you roll two dice and take the higher or lower just for general movement over open terrain.
In addition, we deduct 1" per TWO shock not 1" per each shock.
We have found that this gives us a better balance between firepower and movement and allows units to close up slightly more readily so we see more chances of attacking objectives and not getting bogged down too much in firefights unless that is what the player wishes to do.
Regards
Paul C

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

bunguster wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:41 am
We have also had issues with movement rates in many scenarios and have tried out a small modification that has seen a lot more fluidity in our games.
We make a rule that the first dice used for movement is always a 6 and then roll as usual for a second movement activation.
This does not apply for those situations where you roll two dice and take the higher or lower just for general movement over open terrain.
In addition, we deduct 1" per TWO shock not 1" per each shock.
We have found that this gives us a better balance between firepower and movement and allows units to close up slightly more readily so we see more chances of attacking objectives and not getting bogged down too much in firefights unless that is what the player wishes to do.
Regards
Paul C
Some interesting ideas there. I was thinking that good regulars and elites could use a buff compared with recruits and conscripts and this might be a way of introducing one. (Often find that my Brits at 6 pts per group simply get overwhelmed by French conscripts at 4 pts each.)

You might say that elites always get one six on their first movement dice, and good regulars always get one five, whereas raw troops and conscripts simply dice as normal. The —1” per point of shock also seems too brutal, for well trained troops at least.

bunguster

Post by bunguster »

Although I don't normally use strict points values to balance a game I do use them to give a rough check after I've selected the forces. I agree that the French Conscript and Volunteer points value at 4 seems a bit low compared to the British Regulars at 6, so I arbitrarily cost the French at 5 points and make any force balancing decisions based on that.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

I’m reminded of the Spanish Civil War addendum to Chain of Command where it’s extremely difficult to get militia units moving again once they’ve reached cover of any kind. Perhaps wouldn’t be so extreme in the gunpowder era where weapons are less deadly but unenthusiastic raw troops and militias should certainly be harder to move than experienced regulars, especially if they come under fire (aka receive shock).

Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

Contrarius wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:36 pm
(Often find that my Brits at 6 pts per group simply get overwhelmed by French conscripts at 4 pts each.)
As I get into the game here, I'm also scratching my head as to why line infantry cost and rating varies so much with so little apparent effect on their per-unit performance. Troop Quality is a sizable buff in close-combat, but has no effect on either shooting or morale. Controlled Volleys offer some situational advantages, but not in a prolonged firefight. And yet there are only 2 British line groups for every 3 French! In a system where bodies=morale!

So, yeah. As the rules are written, point-for-point the French will inflict just as many hits in a long range shooting match and much more at close range. The British need to trigger Sharp Practice every turn to be able to keep up, and even so will only have a small advantage at long range and near-parity at close. But the French still have 50% more figures to spread those hits across, which means more morale, plus whatever they want to do with their flags.

Ditto close-combat. The British about break even on dice, but again, the French have more figures, which translates into better morale. And when moving under fire the French will also move farther because their shock will be distributed across more Groups.

I'm seriously considering ignoring a lot of the little distinctions that don't seem to actually do much and just treating all line troops the same except for their access to the major special abilities (Sharp Practice/Thin Red Line/Pas de Charge etc).