Naval landing party...

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

sjwalker51

Re: Naval landing party...

Post by sjwalker51 »

Captain, I think you're right: the Naval Brigades of the Pearl and the Shannon who fought in the Mutiny campaigns were primarily used as gun crews (using both naval guns mounted on field carriages or other 'borrowed' ordnance, including rockets) but were also used as companies of 'line' infantry supported by Marine infantry who were trained as Skirmishers.

Most of the companies were armed with smoothbore muskets, though some were limited to cutlasses and pistols for want of enough firearms.

From the accounts I've read, rating them as C&V seems a bit harsh, especially considering the quality of the opposition they were going up against - they should be 'better' than the majority of Mutineer opponents they go up against.

Best campaign-specific references would be:

Naval Brigades in the Indian Mutiny (Rowbotham)
The Naval Brigades of the Indian Mutiny (Williams and Verney)
A Naval Cadet with Shannon's brigade in India (Watson)

And Mutineer Miniatures do the nicest Mutiny-period Naval Brigade in 28mm so far.

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

It may be that they're rated as C&V as a relative thing in the Mutiny. I've no idea of their relative performance there. I'd agree though that Regular for Naval Brigade would seem the typical rating.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Royal Marines in Napoleonic times - 3 groups or only 2?

Looking at
1 Group sailors w melee weapons 6 pts
1 Group Sailors w muskets 6 pts
3 groups Royal Marines 18pts
plus 3 leaders puts the total around 48pts for the core force

Does that look balanced or would more sailors and less Marines be more appropriate?

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

In 1810, he brig HMS Swallow had a complement of 126. Of these, 20 were marines (sergeant, corporal, 18 privates).

I'd suggest that historically speaking the bulk of a landing party or cutting out party would be sailors. However there's absolutely no reason why a specific force might be composed otherwise. However 25 marines is probably going to be part of the complement of a frigate rather than a smaller vessel.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

bob696

Post by bob696 »

This is an interesting little document
www.royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk/sites/defa ... 20Ship.pdf

The smallest of frigates (20 guns) would have a compliment of 30 marines including 1 officer, 2 NCO and a drummer. A 38 gun frigate would have a marine compliment of 48 (2 officers, 4 NCO and a drummer included) (as of 1810)
Obviously these are ideal numbers and it would have been rare to achieve these numbers in practice.

Sloops and brigs carried no marine officers and I seem to remember reading that when the marines were away from the ship they would be commanded by one of the ships officers, possibly even a senior midshipman.

wavynavy

Post by wavynavy »

I came up with ; formation :no shock: 1st fire:yes: controlled volley no;crushing volley no;step out 3;drill no troop type; mass troops;tribe; characteristics; big choppers,aggressive,only half unit can fire musket: armed with musket,cutlass,pistol,pikes and boarding axe

wavynavy

Post by wavynavy »

I just use the line infantry list for marines!

wavynavy

Post by wavynavy »

I have also in my games sailors and marines can reman artillery pieces that are abandoned!

Lowtardog

Post by Lowtardog »

Good shout, it may also be worth permitting marines to have a skirmish formation as they were used for sharp shooting in the rigging during sea battles however I am not sure if they would perform this function on land

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

Away from the relevant books at the moment but there are definitely accounts of marines skirmishing alongside regular light infantry in support of formed bodies of armed sailors, so ‘Skirmishers’ would seem to be appropriate.

What 28mm figures would be most suited to represent Marines rather than armed sailors in a naval brigade?