Canister - Close Range?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

seldon

Re: Canister - Close Range?

Post by seldon »

Ok, I guess I'll revert to ahead only since it appears the most popular choice...

Mike Mayes

Post by Mike Mayes »

We do the straight ahead as well, which appears to be the rules as written.

Considering the suggestion that canon may be overpowered, I think the extra action makes them more playable.

BTW our experience is that we don't get the bank for the buck.

Mike

DANIDAVOUT

Post by DANIDAVOUT »

So, what is de arc of fire for canister? and, What happen with many units in arc of fire? And if any of the units are friendly?
Thank you.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

As said in the posts above, the arc of fire for canister is straight ahead for the width of the gun base as in the picture on page 46.
If more than one Group is in the arc then any hits would be shared, even if they are friendly.

John

Maddoc

Post by Maddoc »

Just like Uncontrolled Volley fire!

The restriction of the fire arc on artillery makes their cost more accurate - YES, you can do a lot of damage if you deploy it correctly (for me, that's basically ambush at canister range), and YES it's bloody handy at range (to discourage the enemy) from closing, but if we're comparing Canister only, then infantry are also within range (not seen a Heavy Cannon yet!). If it's light infantry, then you're in for a funny duel, but then that's what they're meant to do - harass guns and units (especially with their free move to get out of LOS of the gun) which take a couple of turns to return fire (usually), but only if you don't move the unit out of the way :)

DANIDAVOUT

Post by DANIDAVOUT »

I am not sure about the answer, is it the same arc of fire ball and canister??? no problema with the friendly units?? and, what is the ambush of guns??? is it a musket time practice?