Canister - Close Range?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

bogrot

Re: Canister - Close Range?

Post by bogrot »

I would agree. I don't think Present should be allowed for any cannon.

seldon

Post by seldon »

I sort of accept the idea for ball, given that they are taking longer to aim.. but canister appears to be more a spray and pray :) ...

bogrot

Post by bogrot »

Canister is much like a shot gun, but you still have to take the time to point it in the right direction, so if Present works for ball, I guess it should also work for canister. :?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Being pedantic, artillery never 'Present' that's confined to Formations firing Controlled Volleys. ;)

To be serious, artillery can use Controlled Fire (page 43) which reflects them taking the time to Lay their gun onto their target. Don't see why that shouldn't give them an advantage in terms of the accuracy of their fire when using canister as well as ball, but it does make it pretty powerful if you hold your first fire until the enemy comes within canister range.

John

seldon

Post by seldon »

Well, for me, ball you need to calculate the distance so that you get the bounce of the ball at the right place to hit the target.

Canister I see it more like shoot and anyone in the area of fire gets it...

That is why I was thinking that the aimed fire was better suited for ball... Also not sure that the first fire is really ideal for artillery.

Given the scale of the game one probably does not want to encourage too much artillery, and at the current points 12 dice hitting on 2+ causing double shock seems a bit off.. but to each their own, it is clear that SP will experience different house rules in different areas were it is played :)

cheers
Francisco

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Actually Francisco firing canister effectively is trickier than most wargamers and Wargames rules tend to portray. It is not quite the shoot and pray approach, the spread of shot takes time and distance to develop. At 100 yards (24") the spread of the canister cone would be approximately 10 yards (2.4"/60mm) so quite narrow.

However, I agree with you that artillery can be powerful and some self-control is needed when deciding on the type and number allowed in a game depending on the scenario. Personally I am inclined to limit its use to the selection of a single light gun unless there is a compelling scenario reason for one side having something better.

Cheers,
John

seldon

Post by seldon »

I don't doubt that a great level of skill and attention is involved, I just fail to see how much you can improve the aim of the canister attack.. but as I said to each their own.

John, what do you do regarding the arc of fire ?

The rules explain that it fires straight but I wonder if people give them a small arc over which they can "aim" the gun without having to pay for a full action to turn the gun ?

In our last game we used 45 degrees, I was thinking of taking it to 30 .. ( I'm curious to see what other people are thinking on this ).

Thoughts ?

The no more than one light gun per game except under scenario conditions seems very reasonable...

cheers
Francisco

JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat »

We've always played it (including in SP V1 since it was released) as directly ahead only and any adjustment requires an action...

Cptkremmen3

Post by Cptkremmen3 »

Ahead only, the width of the base the canon is on.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

I've also decided to play it ahead only given my calculation of the canister arc. My guns are on 60mm bases so it fits.

John