Convoy Scenario

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Peter

Convoy Scenario

Post by Peter »

At the start of this scenario, the Blue player takes 1-3 moves before the game proper starts. Do they spend turn 1 deploying (ie setting up their forces the relevant distance from the deployment point - this could be 18" for skirmish troops deploying out of sight of the enemy) or do they 'march on to the table' from the deployment point?

I'm inclined to go with the latter option since it reduces the chance of Blue troops overrunning one or more of the Red deployment points before they get to deploy any troops, but I'm interested to see what others have done.

Peter

sjwalker51

Re: Convoy Scenario

Post by sjwalker51 »

I'd always go for the latter, as the scenario says "Blue enters the table AT point 1 or 2.." and for the reason you mention.

But don't forget that Red rolls for and places his DP only AFTER Blue has made his free moves, making it more difficult for Blue to march towards and shut down the DP even if Red rolls 1 or 4.

seldon

Post by seldon »

Excellent question, eager to see what people are doing. Option 2 seems reasonable...

Also, how do you guys move the convoy along ? Just a unit that moves with 2 dice when activated by any relevant officer ?

Francisco

Peter

Post by Peter »

I'm thinking I'll assign it to a leader - probably the senior one. Allowing any leader to move it seems a bit too easy.

Peter

seldon

Post by seldon »

Let us know when you play the scenario, those are important balancing elements and I'm curious to see how it plays for when I set up the scenario.

cheers
Francisco

Peter

Post by Peter »

Played convoy last night, and deployed 'marching on' from the entry point. It was fine, even if I did only roll a '1' and barely got all my chaps on the table to start. Even with this start, the cards resulted in all the fighting happening in the other half of the table; an extra move or two could have seen the French well on their way, so I would say that using standard deployment as the first action would be far too generous.

The rest of the game played well. Captain Canard led the voltigeurs forward and peppered the English as they deployed into line, while covering the assault column under Major Chevre. The men were clearly enthused and charged, destroying the English line [some extraordinary melee dice from the French here!] but then disaster struck! Chevre was struck down by a skirmisher firing from the flank, his men were dismayed and the column froze as they continued to be raked by fire, resulting in further morale losses as the column staggered under fire.
It was a close game that could have gone the other way had the British actually been dismayed when Major Flummery and half his men fled the field [had they made worse Bad Things Happen rolls]; but instead, with true British determination, they stayed and fought - and won. I'm sure that history will recall that Flummery merely made a tactical withdrawal.

Lessons learnt: don't dismiss single units of enemy light troops; try and have extra leaders with your main force; use those vital command flags where they matter!