Maori Wars

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

sjwalker51

Re: Maori Wars

Post by sjwalker51 »

Hmmm, that does look good - and it’s listed on Amazon UK... oh dear...

Peter

Post by Peter »

You didn't have to tell me that... Now I'll have to look at it.

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

By the way, the (fiction) trilogy by Dave Hayward is pretty good easy reading - occasionally a bit repetitive in its use of some descriptive phrases and revisiting the back story but caught my imagination with its focus on volunteer units rather than the British regulars.

IronDuke1813

Post by IronDuke1813 »

Not to drag out the topic, but has anyone put what’s been discussed for the 1840s onto the tabletop? Any lists that have worked? I know someone ran a Māori Wars SP game at one of the Lard Days before the lockdown. I’ve always wanted to game the New Zealand Wars and am wondering if SP is the way to go.

Cheers,

Andrew

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

Hi Andrew, I parked the NZ war research until I can afford to get the appropriate figures and scenery for table top games, focusing during lockdown on SP projects for which I already have the toys, such as the Cape Frontier Wars and the American Plains Wars.

I’m confident that the Maori Wars will work very well using SP, it has the right level of ‘heroic’ narrative and plenty of appropriate actions to recreate (not just headlong assaults on heavily defended pa, which was my first impression). We’ll probably also use Osprey’s MWWBK for simpler, less immersive games when set up and playing time is at a premium.

I couldn’t make it to the Southampton Lard event where the Maori War game was played unfortunately - hoping that someone will post details of their rule adaptions here at some point, but not so easy to track down yet.

Always good to keep threads like this running, as we always gain new enthusiasts and information as a result.

Simon

poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

Is there a name/title for this work? Love reading good fictional history, particularly when it relates to our locked down cousins across the ditch.
sjwalker51 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:36 pm
By the way, the (fiction) trilogy by Dave Hayward is pretty good easy reading - occasionally a bit repetitive in its use of some descriptive phrases and revisiting the back story but caught my imagination with its focus on volunteer units rather than the British regulars.

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Coat-Korow ... 503&sr=8-7

Here’s the first, “Redcoat and Korowai”

poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

Thank you.
sjwalker51 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:52 am
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Coat-Korow ... 503&sr=8-7

Here’s the first, “Redcoat and Korowai”

Lowtardog

Post by Lowtardog »

I have read those, they have a Wilbur Smith and the Courtneys feel to them. Not perfect but a nice read

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

Latest ‘lockdown’ thought on how to represent Maori warriors, in which each Group is assumed to all be using firearms (a mix of trade muskets and Tupara shotguns) and carrying traditional hand to hand weapons: do I give them Muskets or Fowling Pieces? Main difference is that the former hit on 4+ at 12” or less, compared to 5+ for FPs, but it also has implications for their rating as Light Infantry or Skirmishers.

Other considerations: I’m thinking of giving them the local equivalent of ‘Buck & Ball’ but also replace the first Kill inflicted at Long Range with Shock instead, to reflect the effect of the shotguns (which may also have a similar modifier to ‘tomahawks’ prior to the first round of Fisticuffs).

When defending pa fortifications from rifle pits and trenches, Maori are considered out of LOS and cannot be targeted unless they have fired themselves earlier in the phase - the trenches were deep enough to offer complete protection against direct fire unless they were manning the firing step, and should still count as being in hard cover even then (not forgetting the Light Infantry rule on p47 if rated as such)

Maoris could be considered ‘without bayonets’ if in Fisticuffs in the open with British Regulars so armed or cavalry. If British Line are rated as stubborn Regulars, is it better to rate the Maoris as Skirmishers or Light Infantry, to ensure that the Brits have a slight but significant edge.

Not always easy to keep the tweaks to a minimum and maintain an appropriate balance between opposing troop types when so many variables might apply!