Maori Wars

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

roughneck2

Re: Maori Wars

Post by roughneck2 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:17 am

Simon

I must say that using a board-game as the basis for a campaign hadn't even occurred to me until Captain Reid mentioned it, but it certainly sounds like a great idea. I will definitely be grabbing a copy of the Maori Wars game.

I have just finished reading another excellent article on the Royal Navy's involvement in the lead up to and battle at Kororareka. In the article it mentions the Naval 'small arms parties' but states they were armed with cutlass and sea service muskets which apparently were a shorter musket than that used by the Army. No mention of pistols. Having said that there is another article about the Navy at Rangiriri and it states they were using pistols and cutlass. I'm now wondering if there was perhaps some combination of mixed arms among these 'small arms parties'.

The links to the articles can be found here;
http://navymuseum.co.nz/1800-1913-the-n ... d-1845-46/

http://navymuseum.co.nz/1800-1913-the-b ... mber-1863/

regards
Roger

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:59 am

Thanks for those links, Roger, I'll be reading them later today.

Immediate thought on the cutlass/pistol armed parties would be to give them a characteristic similar to 'Tomahawks' and 'Sam Colt's Equaliser' both of which give them extra impact in the first round of Fisticuffs but without giving them ranged weapons capability. This is also similar to how sailors were given extra dice in Fisticuffs in SP1.

Interestingly, I've found references to similar Naval Brigade companies during the Indian Mutiny: units armed solely with cutlasses and pistols for want of sufficient muskets to equip all the men.

roughneck2

Post by roughneck2 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:48 pm

Hi Simon

Thanks for the ideas around Tomahawks and Sam Colt Equalisers - sounds good to me. I'll dig out my copy of SP1 and see if we can work out something appropriate for SP2.

I'm not entirely sure but I have a feeling some of the British units may have been in India prior to shipping off to NZ. There was definitely some discussion around bringing out a unit of the Bengals to NZ but this didn't eventuate.

As an aside that Metis Rebellion sounds intriguing and seems well-suited to SP2.

regards
Roger

roughneck2

Post by roughneck2 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:23 am

I'm now looking at how to best represent a 'Hau Hau' Maori core force. The 'Hau Hau' were adherents of the Paimarire faith and openly hostile to the British and NZ Govt forces. I think the ideas we have so far for the Maori would be sufficient but should also include a Holy Man as part of the force.

I'm not quite sure however how to best represent their religious fervour. From the accounts I've read they were described as fanatical but I haven't read anything to suggest they were fanatical to the point of being suicidal. Yes they would initially rush into combat with the right hand upraised chanting an incantation in the belief that it would avert enemy bullets, but they soon realised this was foolhardy.
I think the 'Aggressive' characteristic as per the other Maori core forces should suffice with maybe some applicable rule to be implemented only when first moving into contact with the enemy might be enough. Where there was an influential leader such as Titokowaru I'm inclined to perhaps add the 'prominent leader' characteristic where appropriate.

Once I've got the Hau Hau force nailed down I can then move onto the final Maori force which is Te Kooti and his followers. Again I think the current ideas for the Maori should be sufficient with just a couple of minor tweaks as a point of difference. I would definitely make Te Kooti a 'prominent leader'.

Thoughts/suggestions ?

regards
Roger

IronDuke1813

Post by IronDuke1813 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:55 pm

Been a while since there's been any chatter here. Has anyone tried any of these lists/stats? Anything to update?

roughneck2

Post by roughneck2 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:32 am

Hi Ironduke

It certainly has been a while. I'd be keen to see the discussion resurrected again.
For me real life has got in the way over the last few months. Buying a new home and in the process of building a new one so all my wargaming stuff has been in storage for some time.
I know that both Simon and Captain Reid both made some really useful suggestions in terms of adapting SP2 to the NZ Wars which work well. The previous posts have some good ideas on how to represent the forces involved. As the conflict took place over several decades and each phase had a pretty distinct sort of flavour you might want to pick a period to start with and work your way from there. The early 1840s campaigns were very different to the final campaigns in the 1870's.
Anyway, let me know what you're interested in and I'm sure myself and the rest of the group will chime in with some ideas.

regards
Roger