Maori Wars

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

poiter50

Maori Wars

Post by poiter50 » Sun May 15, 2016 1:55 am

Has anyone done any work on the Maori Wars? It would seem to slot nicely in to the skirmishing style.

sjwalker51

Re: Maori Wars

Post by sjwalker51 » Sun May 15, 2016 7:42 am

Arteis is your man for this - a search for Maori' here will throw up several useful threads and there's the Flagstaff War scenario in the downloads section of the Blog

Lowtardog

Post by Lowtardog » Sun May 15, 2016 6:05 pm

I plan to but havent had a chance, picked the rules up exactly for this reason

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Wed May 18, 2016 6:16 pm

The New Zealand Wars are very tempting with the Empress figures available. Would you have Maori groups as Clans? It would seem to be more fitting than tribes. They'd have to have Musket and shotgun options too. Ideal rules for the conflicts and not a lot of figures (and hence expenditure) needed! Talk me out of it!

Lowtardog

Post by Lowtardog » Wed May 18, 2016 10:50 pm

I would treat them as a clan and tempted to use french indian allies but remove aggressive charactoristic. I would keep poor shot as they suffered with poor often homemade ammunition. For shotguns not sure but think pistol stats could work but for me I wouldnt use it. Tomahawk would keep to possibly reflect their haka and the fear of british on initial reaction

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Thu May 19, 2016 6:33 am

I've seen your stuff on the LAF, it's really good.

Peter

Post by Peter » Thu May 19, 2016 7:01 am

Shotguns might be best represented by a (relatively) cheap Sharp Practice stat. That effectively gives them the 'extra' volleys that sometimes surprised the British.
A mix of clan and tribe might be appropriate for the various Maori groups at different times.
Whilst I take your point about poor shots, the British did suffer heavily, and largely from gunfire, not close combat. Still, the British should have to worry about it!
Peter

Lowtardog

Post by Lowtardog » Fri May 20, 2016 2:54 pm

Many thanks Steve W they are a joy to paint and addictive :D
Thinking aloud on the subject some ideas

Maorii in defence or fighting other tribes...could call this Utu or some such would have thepositive hearth and home trait, though wouldnt give them weedy coveas a negative rather class them as tribal otherwise, I suppose a littlebit of a cross with big chopper in style.

For shotguns what for me wouldnt seem right is a whole group with shotguns, they haveto be mixed, perhaps a rule similar to the confederate cavalry mixed weapons or a more representative rule for causing shock at close range with first shot, say on being assaulted.

I know that shotguns were used for the flagstaff wars but not so widespread with later guerilla campaigns which was more bush fighting, so it may need breaking down for each list by campaign

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 » Fri May 20, 2016 5:22 pm

Maoris must be one of the few troop types found where a Group might be largely armed with shotguns. I'd be inclined to class them as fowling pieces for range, fire with 1 and reload with 1 action, counting as 'good shots' at Effective range, but 'poor shots' at Long range.

Maybe also add +1 Shock at Effective range if at least 1 hit is achieved and treat targets as being in 1 level of cover better than they are in at Long range?

Making them Aggressive with a characteristic with effects like Tomahawks would quite nicely model the effect of short range shotgun fire in the first round of Fisticuffs

Lowtardog

Post by Lowtardog » Sat May 21, 2016 9:33 am

Great idea sj