Should I stay or should I go?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

nicholascaldwell

Should I stay or should I go?

Post by nicholascaldwell »

So I'm getting ready to kick off a new season of Colonial/Victorian Sci-Fi adventuring. Don't judge ;)
Here's my Red Coats on Red Planet campaign:
http://colony13.blogspot.com/search/lab ... Adventures

I first started this campaign using Platoon Forward and Two Hour Wargames Colonial Adventures rules. But I'm looking for something better and I had decided that Sharp's Practice was it, especially with it currently being on sale. In fact, I came here to buy the rules but then saw the thread about SPv2.

So now the only question is -- do I go for the January sale with SPv1 or wait until SPv2?

Thanks for any advice!

Best,
Nick

pedivere

Re: Should I stay or should I go?

Post by pedivere »

why would anyone judge you?

anyway, my understanding of VSF is that the weapons are presumed to be more advanced, so why exactly are you using sharp practice rules?

Not because of the quality, but because of the period they cover?

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

I think you'll find SP very adaptable for what you're doing, because it's more about the men, and command and control, than it is about the hardware.

I'd wait a few months until SP2 is released, especially as you can still 'make do' with the rules you are already using. First indications are that SP2 will be rather different (in a good way) to the original, better written and generally worth the wait.

You've reminded me, I always planned to use PF for a Victorian colonial campaign - must revive that project sooner rather than later.

nicholascaldwell

Not because of the quality, but because of the period they cover?
Correct -- I think VSF comes in many flavors, just as other fantasy or science-fiction does. For me, I like to keep the "magic" weapons fairly low-key -- each side in a conflict may have only one or two fantastic devices. The battle is still about the people -- even if the people happen to be Martians!

It does sound like SP2 might be a bit easier to adapt to this setting, though, given what I've read.

Best,
Nick

nicholascaldwell

sjwalker51 wrote:I think you'll find SP very adaptable for what you're doing, because it's more about the men, and command and control, than it is about the hardware.
Yes! This! And I agree with you -- from what I read SP2 looks to fit the bill quite nicely. I will just have to be patient. :)

Let me know when you are ready to revive that campaign. Maybe we can bounce some ideas off of each other for how to incorporate the tech side of VSF.

Best,
Nick

andy_cole

Post by andy_cole »

I've been planning something similar myself actually

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

I must stick to the New Year resolution: 'plan' less and actually 'do' more this year!

MacASM

Post by MacASM »

What sjwalker said! :D
Per Ardua