Moving skirmisher screen plus parent body on a single activation?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Contrarius

Moving skirmisher screen plus parent body on a single activation?

Post by Contrarius »

Having problems moving up my French infantry columns with their skirmish screen. If the leader of the column has its card pulled first the column will pass through the screen leaving it unprotected from enemy fire. Is there a workaround for this?

I suppose if the leader of the column has CI to spare he can activate the skirmishers and get them to move simultaneously, but then he’s not able to use that CI for things like shock removal. And if the skirmishers also fire, they’ll lose any D6 contribution from their own NCO.

I see in the formations section the skirmish screen plus parent body is treated as a single formation, but this doesn’t seem to be expanded on elsewhere in the rules (that I can find). Can they all move on a single CI?

:mrgreen:

Archdukek

Re: Moving skirmisher screen plus parent body on a single activation?

Post by Archdukek »

Yes, if operating in a Skirmish Screen formation, as per the description on page 17, both the skirmishers and the main body are treated as a single formation and can be activated as 1 unit for 1 CI if the conditions are met. Namely the Leader of the main body must outrank any Leader attached to the Skirmish troops and they must be within his command range.

Any Leader attached to the Skirmishers is then treated as a subordinate commander and thus limited in what he can do until the skirmisher troops are detached.

John

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

I’ve been playing it wrong all along but it makes sense now. Thanks again, John.

I read that passage on p.17 several times yet for some reason the second paragraph completely bypassed my brain. :oops:

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Glad to help.
One of the things you still have to watch out for is keeping the skirmishers within 4” of the supports so that hits against the skirmishers can be shared across the formation as per p46. It’s sometimes tempting to let them move too far ahead.

John

MLB

Post by MLB »

Archdukek wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:13 pm
Glad to help.
One of the things you still have to watch out for is keeping the skirmishers within 4” of the supports so that hits against the skirmishers can be shared across the formation as per p46. It’s sometimes tempting to let them move too far ahead.

John
So if I’ve understood correctly both skirmishers and main body would move with the same dice roll? So as long as the skirmishers are within 4” there is no chance they can become separated as the formation will move at the same speed (ie the speed of the slowest group).
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Yes if you keep them under tight control.
However, sometimes it can be tempting and good tactics to spend an extra CI to activate the skirmish group separately to use their extra movement to advance ahead and perhaps fire on the enemy as the column moves up behind them. It’s a judgement call.

John.

MLB

Post by MLB »

Archdukek wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:25 pm
Yes if you keep them under tight control.
However, sometimes it can be tempting and good tactics to spend an extra CI to activate the skirmish group separately to use their extra movement to advance ahead and perhaps fire on the enemy as the column moves up behind them. It’s a judgement call.

John.
Thanks. Your answer raised another question and a quick consult of the rule book didn’t give an answer. If I move a column behind a screen of skirmishers and they are within 4” then any hits will be shared between the skirmishers and the column, but how would the +1 for firing at troops in a column come into play?
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

I think we played it that the firing is against the skirmish screen with hits shared across the column, rather than the column being the target. So saying, we've only used this formation once, and a little like Contrarius we struggled with the application of CI so kept getting the screen too far ahead of the column or the column pushing out through the screen - d'oh! :lol: I asked a similar question at the time and was given the same advice (maybe even from Archdukek!) but haven't tried it since.
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

As the Captain says, in most cases the target group is the Skirmishers so the +1 for a Column doesn’t apply.
However, keeping in mind that it is only hits on a Formation from Line, Skirmish Troops or Artillery firing canister which are allocated across other units, see Allocation of Hits on page 45, I would allow Artillery firing ball to target the Column.

John

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Archdukek wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:10 am
.....the Leader of the main body must outrank any Leader attached to the Skirmish troops.....
Just to clarify - must he completely outrank, or can he be the same rank?
No plan survives first contact with the dice.