Death isn't shocking?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

steveintokyo

Death isn't shocking?

Post by steveintokyo »

Am I doing something wrong?

A unit of 6 gets unluckily blasted and takes 4 kills.

The remaining 2 are not shocked? 4 of their mates heads just gone shot off.

;) :shock:

Captain Reid

Re: Death isn't shocking?

Post by Captain Reid »

Because death reduces the number of models in a Groups it carries with it a sort of inherent Shock

So 8 men take 4 shock and need 12 more shock to rout, but 8 men who take 4 casualties only need 8 more shock to rout.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

steveintokyo

Post by steveintokyo »

Yes I get that, a sort of abstract effect. But shock is used for other stuff like reduced movement.
So it seems very odd to me.

(1) A unit of 8 with 3 casualties (might seem a bit improbablet, but possible, or they might have had shock removed): moves at full speed.
(2) A unit of 8 with 0 casualties but 1 shock: moves a bit lower, etc.

Even considering this, as Captain Reid pointed out, as some abstract quantity that will come into play later, it seems very unrealistic to me at this scale?

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

It might seem like that, but it works well in practise. I thought it a bit strange at first but I've never really found it impacted on the actual game experience.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

You could also look at it as a unit that has a dead man is now more likely to break but isn't being slowed down by someone who a near miss has made more reluctant.

It's also a rather unusual outcome for a unit to have no shock and multiple dead unless, as you say, they've been rallied - but in that case they've had their morale restored, as it were.

siggian

Post by siggian »

Don't forget that "dead" might not mean killed. It could also represent guys who have run off with no chance of rallying. The remaining men might represent a cadre still feeling confident thus no shock (and they might not even be aware yet of the runners).

alang

Post by alang »

Yes Dux gave a similar result in some games. I vividly recall a unit of 6 reduced by kills to 1 man who pushed back his opponents as they accrued Shock instead.

steveintokyo

Post by steveintokyo »

Hmm. Bit silly !

I wonder why they didn’t make a 6 = 1 kill and 1 shock. After all that’s what the game does from which they ...ahem...borrowed this concept.

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

It's because that doesn't produce the results you might hope it might. Basically because, as I say, death carries with it its own inherent Shock.

Have a go though if you'd prefer it

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Perhaps it reflects the period, where maybe death was a bit more commonplace, so perhaps less shocking?
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny