FIW PAINTING TIPS

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

rim66

FIW PAINTING TIPS

Post by rim66 »

Hi everyone,

I'm busy painting some FIW figures and wondered if anyone had any good colour suggestions (I use mainly Vallejo) for painting Indian flesh and buckskin?

Many thanks,

Richard

Jfuller39

Re: FIW PAINTING TIPS

Post by Jfuller39 »

I have a project that is very similar. I haven’t started yet but I’ve been using the new(ish) Citadel Contrast paints by GW. I’ve been paining models for a western game but I’ve been using one of their flesh tones (Guilliman Flesh) over the GW Wraithbone base spray. It’s a bit redder than I would like for some of my cowboy types but with some work I’ve gotten some great “been in the sun my whole life” skin tones.

They also have half a dozen browns I’ve used for leathers that I’m finding outstanding. The contrast usually goes on in one coat but I’ve found you can do a lot to play with tones of the same color with additional coats. Reinvigorated my hobby. I dislike painting immensely but this stuff has made a lot of projects go faster. GW products aren’t for everyone but I’ve found these colors to be pretty good. Especially the browns.

rim66

Post by rim66 »

That's very interesting, thank you. I am looking at the contrast paints at the moment for just these sort of things. One tip I got for 'dyed' buckskin was to say use the black with a touch of brown. Sounds like they could be worth a look.

Kind regards,

Richard

Neal Smith

Post by Neal Smith »

So what did you settle on? I'm about to start painting some Abenaki and Mohicans. I'm thinking a lighter brown mix up to a Middle Eastern tint.

There will probably be a few captives in the mix also.

rim66

Post by rim66 »

Hi Neal,

The plan right now is to try a mix of Red Leather/Brown Sand (50:50) and then add Basic Skintone for Highlight 1 and Gold Brown for Highlight 2. And then a wash of AP Soft Tone to tie it all together. I have yet to try this mix - I had planned to do it today but time ran away from me. I'm not sure about the final Highlight but we'll see.

Kind regards,

Richard