Re: Australian Frontier Wars - Sharp Practice! lists

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Gents,

The second of a two part article on Australian Frontier wars was published in the September 2019 edition of Wargames Illustrated. As supporting material for the article a scenario using Two Fat Lardies' Sharp Practice! rules was provided.

On the blog players can grab the supplement to use for Sharp Practice! that covers Australian Frontier Wars from 1788-1855. The rules are specific to SP including rules for British and Aboriginal forces. Unlike pretty much any other game system, SP's use of deployment points and tailoring of forces, command cards and general play combine to give a very good colonial feel to clashes in 19th century Australia.

I hope they are of some interest..check them out here.
https://wp.me/p1YrZG-1PO

Cheers

R

Last edited by Rolf on Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

poiter50

Re: Re: Australian Frontier Wars - Sharp Practice! lists

Post by poiter50 »

Looking forward to gaming this one, just read an interesting fiction book on that period and place. Puts a different perspective on it.

Congratulations on publication, I was most impressed on the first article.

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

"just read an interesting fiction book on that period and place. Puts a different perspective on it."

That sounds rather interesting...what's the title?

Cheers

;)

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

This looks great!
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

Sarjan, Pinjarra briefly covered in the lead in to develop the main character as it develops Thomas Peel. Some interesting characterisations of some of the historical figures who became prominent in Western Australia.

Anyone read "One Tree Hill" apparently a story of Aboriginal victory in Queensland?
Rolf wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:06 am
"just read an interesting fiction book on that period and place. Puts a different perspective on it."

That sounds rather interesting...what's the title?

Cheers

;)

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

"Anyone read "One Tree Hill" apparently a story of Aboriginal victory in Queensland?"

As noted in my LAF thread...
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.ph ... msg1498647

...I have the book but not yet read it.

Thumbing through it many elements of conflict are described that occurred in and around the lead up to and post battle outcome of teh One Tree Hill battle. This interesting map shows the extent of the aboriginal alliance around the Darling Downs.

poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

Yep, on my list to buy, perhaps a Xmas list.

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

;)

To give a sense of scale on the map, the direct distance from Brisbane to Bundaberg is 372km, just a touch further than London direct to Paris. From Brisbane to Toowoomba is 125km ie London to Portsmouth.

;)