Sharp Practice 1645

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

TheMarquis

Sharp Practice 1645

Post by TheMarquis »

Hello folks,

Having been encouraged by another member of this forum to share some ideas, I thought I'd post about a variant of SP I've been working on for the English Civil War, or rather, for the civil war in Scotland between the Royalists and the Covenanting government. This period was picked because it's a dynamic but self contained conflict that lends itself to small skirmishes and raids, not to mention the colourful individuals who fought on both sides, Montrose himself not being the least of these!

Calling what we have now a true variant of SP is no longer entirely true. In fact it barely resembles the original at all! The main changes being:

1) The activation system is similar to that of CoC, with 'Carpe Diem' points being spent to do some nifty tricks like ferocious highland charges or salvos of musketry.

2) Shooting has been simplified to something similar to CoC, combat is basically that in Dux Brit.

3) Force morale is basically that of CoC.

4) Officers (Big Men!) are wounded through their status levels like those in Dux Brit.

These change seem to work, creating fast paced, chaotic skirmishes. However I need to get more Covenanters finished to really test them out more.

I'd like to ask for peoples' advice on any rules mechanics they might have used for the 17th century or English Civil War that really work for them. Any help would be greatly appreciated and rewarded with pictures of the Royalist force!

I'll try and put something on the Yahoo group about this, was I figure out how to...

Thanks!

sjwalker51

Re: Sharp Practice 1645

Post by sjwalker51 »

I'd certainly be interested in seeing a draft of your rules - hopefully you can upload a copy to the Yahoo Group files - as I was planning to use SP as a basis for both Border Reiver and Jacobite Rebellion games "sometime".

By coincidence, in our on-going playtest of an SP supplement for the Indian Mutiny, we experimented with using the CoC dice activation system as well. Jury is still out but most people seemed to prefer the action cards as somehow more "personal" and "heroic", more in keeping with the Flashmanesque style of the typical game of SP.

Your use of Carpe Diem cards sounds similar to an adaptation of the uses of the SP GTN cards that we are also trying out. But I must now check out the CoC rules for force morale and the Dux rules for wounds on Big Men.

With the possibility of ITB being revived, your timing is perfect!

Simon

TheMarquis

Post by TheMarquis »

If Richard Clarke approves perhaps we can circulate what we have around a few people?

I am a huge fan of the TFL card activation system myself, I went with CoC dice activation because I've found I enjoy it even more. I also love the idea that the dice representing your officers really exerting themselves and 'spending' their time, energy and courage to get their men moving (think of Montrose desperately dragging his men out of Dundee by one gate as the Covenant troopers come clattering in the other!).

The Carpe Diem points are actually the 6s from your Command roll, representing the officers spotting a fleeting opportunity and pushing their men to excell. With the Carpe Diem points, cavalier courage, grim determination and Gaelic ferocity are really the order of the day!

I certainly pricked up my ears when Mr Clarke mentioned In the Buff on Meeples and Miniatures!

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

Marquis

I am entirely happy to approve anything you like. By all means see what people think.

Rich

sunjester

Post by sunjester »

Marquis

I've been thinking about doing something for Border Reivers for some time and would be very interested in seeing your ideas.

Graham

Kustenjaeger

Post by Kustenjaeger »

Greetings

This would be very interesting.

Regards

Edward

TheMarquis

Post by TheMarquis »

Hello Rich,

Thanks for replying. Would you like to see these rules first? I ask because they are not truly a variant to be bolted on SP anymore, but a whole game that uses many TFL mechanics.

Graham - I hope you will find something interesting in these, I think they might suit short, sharpe border raids and skirmishes.

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

Graham/Sunjester,

Great minds think alike - maybe time to actually do something with the pile of lead I've accumulated since discovering the Reivers, about 10 years after everyone else got bored with it and moved on to Darkest Africa or Pirates!

In my case it was the TAG Tudor range that got me thinking, to which I've since added a load of Vendel Miniatures and Graven Image/Crann Tara stuff.

I guess you've seen the Pele tower that Warbases have released? One of their more detailed efforts, I thought.

Simon

sunjester

Post by sunjester »

Simon,
I've been interested in Border Reivers for a long time and was very excited when Vendel came on the scene with their range. I've also got a bunch of Graven Images/Monolith. I haven't seen the Warbases Pele Tower yet, I've got a lot of their stuff, but find their buildings a bit lacking compared with what else is available now. I wrote a set of rules with my gaming buddy Richard, "Hot Trod, Red Hand" some 14 years ago but would be interested in trying a Lardie version.

Graham

TheMarquis

Post by TheMarquis »

It seems that Border Reivers are a popular idea!

As promised, I've just posted some photos of the small Royalist raiding parting on the Yahoo group. Two groups of Irish and two groups of highlanders with their officers. The ensigns are standing in for the unpainted Irish officers.