SP Ancients?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

redzed

SP Ancients?

Post by redzed »

On a recentish Oddcast Sharp Practice Ancients was mentioned, is this a possibility or dead in the water?
I ask as I'm about to base an army, but if the games a goer I'll wait before basing. Cheers.

Contrarius

Re: SP Ancients?

Post by Contrarius »

I think Rich said he was excited about the idea of SP ancients and hoped to work on it shortly. I’d be surprised if the Lardies had anything ready yet.

leopard

Post by leopard »

Play a bit of SAGA here, the idea of using the SP system appeals a lot though, or something close to it.

base individually and use movement trays for other games, can use models for anything then

Fluffy05

Post by Fluffy05 »

I could see SP Ancients working extremely well.

I’ve only played a couple of games of SP2 and thoroughly enjoyed them all. I was thinking the rule for Tomahawks would work well for Roman Pilum (in Defence prior to an enemy charge).

I’ve even started basing up some of my Early Imperial Romans on round bases to use in sabot movement trays just like we do for SP.

I’ll base up some hairy arsed Barbarians next!

John_savage_uk

Post by John_savage_uk »

I’m working on SP Ancients (Sharp’s Pilum anyone?) at the moment. Still early stage and play testing so not ready to share yet I’m afraid. Key is the army lists and my thoughts are focused historical matching forces which allow the particular flavor to be brought out rather than the typical ancients approach of generic rules that allow ahistorical armies to fight.

To this end working on classic Imperial Romans against Ancient British (because that’s the armies I’ve got) with thoughts to expand out to Late Dark Age (Vikings, Saxons and Norman’s), 100 Years War, Punic Wars etc.

Early indications look good (at least to me) ;)

I’m hoping to go public with a participation game at The Other Partizan with a game based on the opening scenes from the film Eagle (Romans trying to rescue some captives from the revolting Britons).

It’s also planned as one of the games at the Lardy event I’m organizing in October, Ebor Lard II, up in Yorkshire.

Bit of a tease I know but if all goes well hoping Rich might be interested in publishing them in the Lard Annual.

Fluffy05

Post by Fluffy05 »

I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with Ancients.

Keep up the play testing!

Nick B

Post by Nick B »

John - please do some late medieval - 100 Years War, War of the Roses etc - definitely a gap in the market for that period. Will watch for developments eagerly! :D

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Nick B wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:20 pm
John - please do some late medieval - 100 Years War, War of the Roses etc - definitely a gap in the market for that period. Will watch for developments eagerly! :D
Nick,
There's already a Wars of the Roses variant of SP being developed. See this earlier thread:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10493

John

Nick B

Post by Nick B »

John- yes, I saw that, thanks but wasn't sure if they were being done in collaboration or if this effort was more "official". :)

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Nick B wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:59 am
John- yes, I saw that, thanks but wasn't sure if they were being done in collaboration or if this effort was more "official". :)
Nick,
Big Rich will sometimes express enthusiasm for an idea for further rules development, but lack of time, energy and even occasionally commercial interest dare I say dictates that TFL's efforts must be focussed elsewhere. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an SP Ancients ruleset from TFL, but would suggest that the existing WOTR variant is as close as you are going to get to an "official" set for your periods of interest meantime.

John