Greetings and a Pair of Questions

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Cyrano

Greetings and a Pair of Questions

Post by Cyrano »

Long-time fan of Lard games, drawn back by the power of "Sharp Practice 2" and, frankly, the flexibility of Tabletop Simulator.

A couple questions if I might:

1. Do I read correctly that four is the recommended maximum number of folks for multi-player games? I have this notion of using the stock scenarios and then doubling the forces in play. I don't think this would require an expansion of the game board, but would welcome thoughts. I'd also be interested to see Napoleonic multi-player scenarios that folks have run with success.

2. If a group is activated by a command flag after Tiffin, may it give a crashing volley? Somewhat related thereunto, may an uncontrolled volley be "powered up" by flag play to a crashing volley.

Thanks very much.

And Best,

Jim

Munin

Re: Greetings and a Pair of Questions

Post by Munin »

1. I don't know about this, but if you are savvy about the way you do it, you can expand the game to many more than 4 players without introducing any extra complexity in the turn sequence. What you should NOT do is just dump more leader chips/cards into the bag, as this generally produces very poor results. Instead, just ensure that every player has the same number of leaders. That way, when "Blue Leader 1" is pulled, all of the Blue players activate their #1 leader. When a "Reg Flag" is drawn, each Red player is given a chit, and they can decide how to spend them individually (one Red player may want to fire a Crashing Volley, another may want to activate Sharp Practice immediately, another may want to save them up for an interrupt or to activate units after the Tiffin, etc). That way, multiple players are activating units simultaneously and you don't run into the problem where games completely bog down and take forever. Or worse, where the poor player of Blue Leader #31 sits at the table for three hours and never has his leader drawn because you're pulling chits out of a grocery sack.

2. It is my understanding that command flags played after the Tiffin may only be used to activate a unit that has not previously activated that turn, and may not be used to power unit abilities or flag-driven traits.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Jim,
1) My advice would be to stick to 2v2 as a maximum if playing a standard game. More than that can be done but play can drag for other players and too many Leader chits does slow play. I've yet to try Munin's suggested variant but I think that would go a long way to address the problem with larger games.
Take care if you increase the Force size too much while sticking to the same size table. You may find that you restrict manoeuvre and the game dissolves into static firefights. Around 100-120 points is the maximum I'd go for on a 6'x4' board.
2) I'd agree that after Tiffin you can only use Command Cards to activate units, not add bonus effects.
Most volleys in the game tend to be "uncontrolled" and yes you can use Command cards to make them a Crashing Volley. However, it's generally more effective to do that with a Controlled volley as you should generate more hits.

John

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Munin wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:45 pm
1. I don't know about this, but if you are savvy about the way you do it, you can expand the game to many more than 4 players without introducing any extra complexity in the turn sequence. What you should NOT do is just dump more leader chips/cards into the bag, as this generally produces very poor results. Instead, just ensure that every player has the same number of leaders. That way, when "Blue Leader 1" is pulled, all of the Blue players activate their #1 leader. When a "Reg Flag" is drawn, each Red player is given a chit, and they can decide how to spend them individually (one Red player may want to fire a Crashing Volley, another may want to activate Sharp Practice immediately, another may want to save them up for an interrupt or to activate units after the Tiffin, etc). That way, multiple players are activating units simultaneously and you don't run into the problem where games completely bog down and take forever. Or worse, where the poor player of Blue Leader #31 sits at the table for three hours and never has his leader drawn because you're pulling chits out of a grocery sack.
I would add to this only by making the #1 Blue Leader (for example) a different grade for each Blue force - eg, Force A has him as a Level 1, Force B a Level 2, Force C a Level 3, etc; and the same for all of the other Blue Leaders. This way, the same chit will have a different - and less predictable - impact across the entire army.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Peter

Post by Peter »

That is a great idea, Baron.

weharding

Post by weharding »

Munin wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:45 pm
2. It is my understanding that command flags played after the Tiffin may only be used to activate a unit that has not previously activated that turn, and may not be used to power unit abilities or flag-driven traits.
Jumping off of this, since at end of turn you can only use one command card per unit/formation that has not activated, is it possible to use that activation to deploy a group/formation that has not yet come on?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

weharding wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:49 pm
Jumping off of this, since at end of turn you can only use one command card per unit/formation that has not activated, is it possible to use that activation to deploy a group/formation that has not yet come on?
No you can't. Deployment requires the activation of a Leader who brings on the troops under his control. You can't activate a Leader using a Command Card after Tiffin.

John