War of the roses, SP v2

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

hendrik

War of the roses, SP v2

Post by hendrik » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:59 am

Lardy Rich , Ron Carnegie and Pat kindly gave me their premission to publish my updated version of the 2013 TFL summer special sharp practice war of the roses. It now includes an army roster and has been updated to SP V2. I hope this motivates some other folks to dig into the war of the roses period!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IZjj15 ... p=sharing
One of the bigger changes was changing the unit sizes from 8 men to 6. This was due to two factors. One was that other gaming systems use 6 and 12 men strong units,so all my movement trays already were 6 men ones.
Secondly,maybe more important. A box of perry also includes multiples of 6, so a songle box of perry cavalry would give you 2 units,rather then just 1,5units.
Anyway,i hope people like it!
Last edited by hendrik on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gibby

Re: War of the roses, SP v2

Post by Gibby » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:17 pm

Thank you for this!

5th Grenadier

Post by 5th Grenadier » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:08 pm

This is a most welcome update. Appreciate the effort in adjusting this to fit my perry mini addiction as well :D
In all seriousness though-this is terrific and how I prefer to play the period. Excellent stuff!

hendrik

Post by hendrik » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:13 pm

Thanks! On the facebook group i've recieved a lot of feedback,but very little playtesting. Make sure you post up a report when you give it a go! ;)

agent_pumpkin

Post by agent_pumpkin » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:53 am

Awesome and great timing. Thanks!
Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:25 am

A friend and I have played a few games of this now. It's really very good! We're currently looking at ways to tone down the archers though as we've yet to have a game where the rate of fire of archers has not decided the entire battle. We've only got units into melee once so far and that was because we both made a conscious effort to do so - tactically there's no incentive to do anything but keep shooting and shooting with the archers once you're in a good position. Obviously the scenarios can balance this out but thus far there's always been enough open space for the archers to take the day.

A few ideas we've floated around to try:

Limited ammo (6/12 arrows per man until resupplied? May be a bit of book work or require more markers etc)

Increased reload rates all round. Three actions for handguns, two for crossbows and one for archers? (May not feel right)

Heavy armour and above ignore the first kill/ignore shock from arrows? (Bit extreme but reading about the battles of the period, the archers didn't seem to stop one side closing in, etc)

We do like it a lot so far, though!

hendrik

Post by hendrik » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:33 pm

Interesting feedback! Have you tried cavalry?there is the random event that can cause a unit to get out of arrows. I believe a burgundian mounted archer was supposed to have 30 arrows in his quiver (will need to dig into my books again to verify), so in a skirmish even with just their quivers with them,archers could put out quite some hurt!
How was the terrain you were playing over?was there LOS blocking stuff,or was it all open ground the troops had to cross to get into combat? Of all open ground,it's only fitting the archers ruled,unless they went up against a fully armoured horse charge which should have enough mopentum to make it

hendrik

Post by hendrik » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:20 am

We've made a big update to the expansion,introducing two random events tables,tweaking some things and finished up the layout. I think it's now properly finished!

agent_pumpkin

Post by agent_pumpkin » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:06 am

I'm still painting my armies. I'll try and get a game in soon. Sorry!
Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Nick B

Post by Nick B » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:53 pm

This is really excellent and I shall be giving it a go.

I think you need to flesh it out a bit with some additional units - Welsh Spear & Longbow, Irish Kerns and Gallowglass etc.

Army lists with unit restrictions would also help folk new to the period.

Great work!