Moving to the flank

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

dallascowboy

Moving to the flank

Post by dallascowboy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:28 pm

I can't get my head round this,if you have a formation of 2 groups that move to the flank i.e at an angle of less than 45degrees that don't spend an an action to turn to the front do they end up facing the flank in a column 2 figures wide by 8 deep or 4 figures wide by 4 deep? ,it's the example on page 34 but I can't work it out.
Thanks for any replies
Clive

Archdukek

Re: Moving to the flank

Post by Archdukek » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:42 pm

Hi Clive,
I thinks it's pretty straightforward.
Your formation can move forward obliquely/incline up to 45 degrees and still count as facing forward.
If you want to move at a steeper angle than that then the groups have to turn right or left as necessary into a 2 figure wide by 8 figure deep formation at the start of their movement and will remain in that formation after they move to the side unless they reserve an action to face front.

Basically a formation can always use both actions to move 1 D6 to the side while ending up facing forwards.

John

dallascowboy

Post by dallascowboy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:19 pm

Thanks John,
I wasn't sure if the 2 we'd by 8 deep was a permissible formation but it makes more sense like that.
Thanks
Clive

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:32 pm

Hi Clive,
It's not a recognised fighting formation and not one you want to be in for any time given how long a flank it presents, but as a transient moving formation it's OK. A single action will convert it into a line facing to either the previous front or rear by the men in it making a 90' turn while stationary. Or next turn you simply choose to move in either of those directions converting into a line to do so.

John

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:04 pm

Took us a while to work it out...