Alternative breeding

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Counterpane

Alternative breeding

Post by Counterpane »

Looking at the Adding Characters chapter of the rules in the context of my current Maximilian Adventure project, it strikes me that the Officer’s Breeding table has a rather Anglocentric feel. Even the name of the table, for me, has echoes of the huntin’, shootin’ and fishin’ gentleman about it.

I’m starting to think about what French and Mexican equivalents of this table for the mid-1800s might look like. Certainly a significant proportion of senior Mexican officers were of rural Indian stock.

Has anyone else done anything like this? I’d be interested to see any campaign-specific tables you’ve come up with.

Richard C (not that one)

Fettster

Re: Alternative breeding

Post by Fettster »

These are the table from terribly sharp sword we use for our ACW

Confederate Standing
Dice Result
1 A true Southern Gentleman. A plantation in the South, business interests in Richmond, this is a well bred man with nobility etched in every line of his face. Honour is your watchword, when dealing with civilised folk of course.
2 A Soldier with experience of the hardships of war. Roll a D6. On a 1-2 You won your laurels down Mexico way, 3 You taught at the Virginia Military Institute, 4 Injun’ fighter, you scalped more redskins than any man living. 5 or 6 a West Point man. Add one Status Level
3 Born and raised down in Alabama, on a farm way back up in the woods. A backwoodsman with little learnin’ but plenty of heart and a knowledge of the land, shootin’ and a killin’. If an officer you may be mounted.
4 The path was deep and wide with footsteps leading to your cabin. Above the door there hung a scarlet lamp. Late at night a hand would knock and there would stand a stranger. Yes, you’re the son of Hickory Hollers Tramp.
5 A man of letters. School teacher, lawyer, Engineer. Your men respect your learning and your quick wittedness.
6+ Son of the soil. A farmer more used to ploughing the fine Virginia soil than fighting, but a patriot who will fight well for his homeland and to keep his family free.

Union Standing
Dice Result
1 Industry, the life blood of the nation, runs in your veins. Your family own a number of factories, all of which are now dedicated to supplying the Union with what they need. Naturally at very respectable margins of profit and with all interest rates compounded.
2 A Soldier with experience of the hardships of war. Roll a D6. On a 1-2 You won your laurels down Mexico way, 3-4 Injun’ fighter; you scalped more redskins than any man living, 5 or 6 a West Point man. Add one Status Level
3 Son of the soil. A farmer more used to ploughing the fine New England soil than fighting, but a patriot who will fight well for his homeland and to keep his family free.
4 An office boy with a good head for numbers and keeping ledgers, but less of a mind for drill and the manual of arms. Your abilities with the company books make you invaluable to the Captain. Who knows, maybe an unexpected hero.
5 A boy from the backwoods, you have little in the way of book learnin’ but plenty of heart and a knowledge of the land, shootin’ and a killin’. If an officer you may be mounted.
6+ The New York slums were your cradle, and you fought in every back-alley along the entire waterfront. Nobody can out-swear, out-drink and out-fight you.

History
Dice Result
1 Your Great Great Great Granddaddy arrived in the Mayflower
2 Your Great Great Uncle was prominent in the Revolution
3 Your Granddaddy fought the redcoats in 1812
4 Your Pa saw the Halls of Montezuma down south of the border
5 Your Ma and Pa arrived in north America a year before you were born
6 You arrived in America but a few years ago, fleeing the oppression of Kings
Kind Regards

Leigh

Counterpane

Post by Counterpane »

Thanks, Fettster. I was coming to the conclusion that something like that was the way to go. I think i’ll Roll for race first and have that modify family status.

Ari Marsson

Post by Ari Marsson »

Surely for the Union, History number 6 should read 'You arrived in America but a few years ago, fleeing the King's justice'...?

Counterpane

Post by Counterpane »

I’ve done a bit of research on the family backgrounds of Mexican officers during the wards of the mid-nineteenth century. I’ve come up with the following tables for determining the officers’ background:

Casta
1 Recent immigrant (1-3 Peninsular, 4-6 other)
2 Criollo
3 Criollo
4 Criollo
5 Mestizo
6 Indian

Class (-1 if Peninsular, +2 if Indian)
1- Social elite
2 Upper middle class
3 Poor army officer’s son
4 Lower middle class
5 Urban poor
6+ Rural poor

Military career (-1 if Peninsular or Social Elite)
1- Professional soldier, military academy-trained
2 Political appointee
3 Professional soldier, career advanced by political patronage
4 Professional soldier, politically motivated volunteer
5 Professional soldier, enlisted in the ranks and worked his way up
6 Professional soldier, enlisted in the ranks and worked his way up

"Casta" is the officer's racial background. Pre-independence Mexico was governed by Spanish colonial ideas of racial status.
A peninsular (plural peninsulares) is a person born in Spain.
A criollo is a person of European (or mostly European) blood who was born in Mexico.
A mestizo is a person of more obviously mixed heritage.
There was an additional class of "enslaved person" in the Spanish hierarchy but I haven't found any senior officers from this group.

I admit that these tables are a bit bland compared to those in TSS. I'll give some though to Liberal and Conservative versions of the third table that follow the TSS style. Thanks again to Fettster for making me aware of that.

Richard

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

Hmmmm, Maximilian Adventure and SP...

Richard, I insist you come over to the Barnsley club one Saturday for a game, or invite me to your next game, whenever that is!

Simon

Counterpane

Post by Counterpane »

sjwalker51 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:14 pm
Richard, I insist you come over to the Barnsley club one Saturday for a game, or invite me to your next game, whenever that is!
Sounds like a good idea, I like the Barnsley club's upstairs space!

I've offered to run a demo of Ferrocarril de Veracruz at Wargames Emporium in Sheffield; it's just a case of finding a Saturday when I'm free and they can host.

Richard

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

We’ve got a small but growing number of SP players at Barnsley, especially since the Harrogate TFL day , so always welcome !

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

I've been working on a campaign around an aspect of the Second French Invasion of Portugal in 1809, and am looking to use some priests, monks and women as Portuguese guerrilla leaders. I've had a look to see if anyone has ever posted guidance on the kinds of characteristics Portuguese or Spanish guerrilla leaders might have, but have drawn a blank. I like Richard's suggestions for "Class" for his Mexicans, and suspect something similar would work in the Peninsular. Grateful for any thoughts, including if this has been covered in any specials? Again, I suspect like Richard it may be better to work up a more detailed picture like those in TSS or even TM&B.
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny