Non-combatant characters

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Non-combatant characters

Postby Sadurian » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:18 pm

I've seen mention of SP2 using various non-combatant characters to create a narrative in a sort of RPG-like scenario manner.

Can anyone cast more light on these - how common are they? Do they get special rules? How do they interact with the 'fighting' characters? How much role-playing is involved?

I ask because I am a role-player and I'd be very happy if SP2 manages to incorporate some of the feel of an RPG with the wargaming.
Sadurian

Re: Non-combatant characters

Postby Rich H » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:52 pm

You deploy a few in each scenario. They can play as much or as little part as you want.

You can interact with them and their reaction will depend on your officer's character and the nature of the civvy.

Had one civvy take exception to my officer's presence and proceed to shoot up half a group of my very expensive light infantry. They eventually got sick of this and dealt with him with some fisticuffs!
Rich H

Postby Sadurian » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:25 pm

Thanks. Do you set the NPC nature yourself or is it pre-determined or determined by tables?

I see how an umpire could set all these things but I assume the intention is to run it with two players.
Sadurian

Postby Archdukek » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:41 pm

You can decide whether or not to use NPCs and what they are like when you design the scenario. Some of the scenarios in the rulebook suggest having some civilians but they don't define their characteristics in any way, that's left to you. Given your RPG experience you could probably produce a small table of NPCs characters pretty easily and simply roll for which one appears if you wanted to randomise it in the absence of an umpire.

There are some tables in the book for fleshing out the background to your Leaders but they are really just a starter and as an experienced RPG player you will readily be able to expand on these.

Personally I find that if you play the game as part of a narrative campaign the Leaders start to develop characters through their actions to expand on what you may have started with. I also often find that the events in the game often suggest what the next scenario might be.

If you check out the excellent AARs presented by Captain Reid (David Hunter) for his Saindoux Campaign you will see this at work.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4864

John
Archdukek

Postby Sadurian » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:04 am

Sounds good, chaps.

It sounds to me like one could run a Sharp Practice campaign almost as an RPG campaign but with even more emphasis on shooting at people (although maybe not so much taking their stuff).
Sadurian

Postby Archdukek » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:16 am

Yes absolutely, it's just a question of scale. So you get one Group of 6 Light Infantry with Rifles rather than a single elf with a magic bow. :-)

Check out Dawns & Departures the campaign system for more ideas to add background and character to the game. Plenty of scope to weave in NPCs and others to flesh out a narrative campaign.

John
Archdukek

Postby Sadurian » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:20 am

Thanks guys. Looks like yet another TfL purchase on the horizon.
Sadurian

Postby Archdukek » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:51 am

Sadurian wrote:Thanks guys. Looks like yet another TfL purchase on the horizon.

And we haven't even discussed what you could do with Dux Britanniarum as an RPG player with its character and career development tables. :twisted: :D

John
Archdukek

Postby Captain Reid » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:38 am

I think Dux seems to combine best the campaign narrative and character development of the wargame-as-RPG that Rich seems to have created.
Faith! If they tried to outrun a Hielandmon, they stood but a bad chance, for Whash! went the broadsword.
- James Thompson, 78th Foot.

The Saindoux Campaign, 1757, my French and Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, 1811, my Peninsular War blog.
Captain Reid

Postby Sadurian » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Archdukek wrote:
And we haven't even discussed what you could do with Dux Britanniarum as an RPG player with its character and career development tables. :twisted: :D

John

Get thee behind me, Stan.

I already have a stack of game rules and books that rarely see the light of day and a whole room full of figures (around 5K at last count) needing paint/repaint. All this and a current schedule which leaves me precious little time to game in the first place. Plus an academic's income which doesn't really allow enough for 'toys'.
Sadurian

Return to Sharp Practice