Sharp Practice

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Sharp Practice

Postby JuliusHeide » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:42 pm

Hi Sorry if this is obvious or been done to death but it seems if rifles or controlled volleys x2 sharp practice is better than using 4 cards for extra activation. Also do you add leader die with sharp practice? Cheers
Tim
JuliusHeide

Re: Sharp Practice

Postby Archdukek » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:01 pm

No you don't add Leader dice when playing Sharp Practice, it's the unit which is activated not the Leader. Same as if you activate the unit with a Command Card.

Using 4 Command Cards to play Sharp Practice twice is nowhere near as good as getting the 4 card bonus option. For one thing Sharp Practice only gives you a single fire action so you can fire or reload, not both. The 4 Card bonus fully activates the unit so it has two actions and can fire and reload.
More importantly you can only play Sharp Practice on a single Unit. With the 4 card bonus if you pick the right Leader you can activate 2, 3 or even 4 units who will each have 2 actions. Much more powerful if used well.

John
Archdukek

Postby Trailape » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:40 am

JuliusHeide wrote:Hi Sorry if this is obvious or been done to death but it seems if rifles or controlled volleys x2 sharp practice is better than using 4 cards for extra activation. Also do you add leader die with sharp practice? Cheers
Tim

Thanks for asking the question.
I find the SHARP PRACTICE characteristic somewhat confusing myself,..
I AM MY BROTHER'S KEEPER
Trailape

Postby Captain Reid » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:55 am

Yes, in the specific instance of a unit of rifles, 4 command cards is often better spent by SP x2 than activating a leader. It's also the case, sometimes, if you have a line with SP that's firing controlled volleys.

I don't think that's a unwelcome consequence of how the SP characteristic works though - it just provides another option. As John says, most often it will be better to activate or reactivate a high status leader so more units can do more, and so you can move, etc.

SP is much more situational.
Faith! If they tried to outrun a Hielandmon, they stood but a bad chance, for Whash! went the broadsword.
- James Thompson, 78th Foot.

The Saindoux Campaign, 1757, my French and Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, 1811, my Peninsular War blog.
Captain Reid

Postby rcuscaden » Fri May 19, 2017 4:09 pm

So when is it best to use Sharp Practice? Only with Rifles because you can reload them with 2 Command Cards (ie...Sharp Practice)?

Sorry, I don't fully understand the best circumstance to use this feature.
rcuscaden

Postby Captain Reid » Fri May 19, 2017 4:33 pm

Sharp Practice is very useful when one has rifle-equipped troops. But it's not to be overlooked when firing with muskets either, especially if firing controlled volleys.

Probably the ideal situation for line is as follows:

Activate: any action, Present
Activate: Fire, Reload
Sharp Practice to Fire (counting as presented because you're already firing controlled, thereby gaining you two actions for the SP)

for rifle armed skirmishers then using SP to reload is a better return than using it to fire, but in some situations you might well want to use it to fire.

A free fire or reload can be useful in a multitude of circumstances. Deciding when (or when best to do something else with the command cards) is really the core of the game
Faith! If they tried to outrun a Hielandmon, they stood but a bad chance, for Whash! went the broadsword.

Captain Reid

Postby rcuscaden » Fri May 19, 2017 5:42 pm

Thank you for the info Captain Reid.

I will try to implement this during my next game.
rcuscaden

Postby rcuscaden » Fri May 19, 2017 5:44 pm

Ah..another question regarding the use of Sharp Practice.

Say you have 2 groups of rifled armed skirmishers controlled by 1 leader. Does the Sharp Practice only effect one of the groups?
rcuscaden

Postby Captain Reid » Fri May 19, 2017 5:58 pm

If they are in formation then both Groups benefit. If, as more usually in the case of Skirmish Troops, they are not in formation, only one can benefit.

SP applies to a unit (Group or Formation). A leader, present or otherwise, has no bearing.

Captain Reid

Postby Archdukek » Sat May 20, 2017 3:25 am

When following Captain Reid's excellent advice on the use of the Sharp Practice characteristic, keep in mind that being able to get that second volley in during the same turn can pile the Shock on your opponent's unit. If on the next turn your Formation is activated before your opponent can remove any Shock you can usually get another volley in with your Line troops and really spoil his day!

John
Archdukek

Next

Return to Sharp Practice