Dawns & Departures questions

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Re: Dawns & Departures questions

Postby keith.stratton » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:17 pm

I've been playing miniature war games for the last 20 years, since I was a larvae. The TFLs are the only games publishers I've ever seen that read a forum, go "oh, my work's alright I guess," and immediately set to sharing it. I'm a big fan.
keith.stratton

Postby vlad48 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:37 am

I am greedily looking for the map drawings that Richard had planned to post. Are they uploaded anywhere yet?
vlad48

Postby rim66 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:16 am

Not to my knowledge and Rich is away at the moment, but I will remind him once he is back.

Kind regards,

Richard aka Monty Lardo
rim66

Postby vlad48 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:17 pm

Thanks, Monty Lardo, I'll keep watching here.
vlad48

Postby Munin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:40 pm

OK, I have a Dawns & Departures question for the experts here. The issue is one of Patrolling and Scouting. Namely, I'm not sure how/when to adjudicate it. It must happen after a force moves, but the turn order doesn't make this overly clear.

For example, say I've just come onto the map from the southern edge in Area 23. In the next turn, I want to move north into Area 20, and say that I want to put out a patrol. Am I patrolling in the squares ahead of where my army is now (19, 20,and 21, before moving) or do I move first and then throw out patrols after (i.e. Zones 16, 17, and 18)? And thus the section on patrols running into patrols only comes into play when two main forces end their turn in adjacent (not Adjacent) zones?

Further, is scouting simultaneous, or does the order of movement matter? For instance: the Red Army is in Zone 23 and Blue Army is in Zone 14. The Red Army has campaign initiative and moves north one step to Zone 20, at which time it throws out a patrol into Zone 17 (which is currently empty) and finds nothing. Taking its move, the Blue Army moves south to Zone 17 and throws a patrol southward, finding the Red Army in Zone 20.

Or does scouting and patrolling happen after all movement of Main Forces and Detachments is complete? This would lead to situations where if two forces ended their turns with one zone between them (say in Zone 20 and Zone 14), both would find Zone 17 empty. But next turn, both would advance and blunder into each other by surprise, even though they had patrolled ahead. This seems sort of weird. Or are the patrols encountering each other enough to tip you off that a force is nearby? I forget (and don't have the rules in front of me at this moment), but isn't there some chance that patrols can miss each other? But then again, I guess patrols can completely miss Main Forces and/or Detachments too if they roll poorly enough, and armies blundering into each other is appropriate to the period.

Finally, for cavalry it's pretty clear that scouting cavalry does not participate in table-top battles - but what about patrolling infantry? If you've dedicated an infantry Group to patrolling but blunder into the enemy during the movement phase of the turn, is that Group available during the battle? If so, is there any downside to putting out 3 patrols (1 into each eligible Zone) every turn? Also, shouldn't skirmishers or tribes be better at patrolling than (say) line infantry? Or is this an unnecessary level of abstraction?

I feel like there are some interesting issues and tradeoffs here, but I also feel like I might be missing the key piece of understanding that makes it all fit.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and if your patrol does find something, what level of detail do they report? Simple presence of the enemy? Count and type of Groups? Whether the enemy force in that Zone is a Main Force or a Detachment?
Munin

Postby vlad48 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:54 pm

On the subject of map line drawings, still awaiting the upload of the images when it can be managed.
- The Squeaky Wheel
vlad48

Postby rim66 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:33 am

I know it won't be until after Salute, but I'll remind Rich for when he is back at his desk.

Kind regards,

Richard aka Monty Lardo
rim66

Postby Richard » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:27 pm

Hi chaps

Richard has indeed reminded me. I will get something together next week, after Salute.

Cheers

Rich
Richard
Site Admin

Postby vlad48 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:45 pm

Appreciated!
- Vlad
vlad48

Postby Annatar » Thu May 04, 2017 1:22 pm

Hi!