War of 1812 Campaign Guide for Sharp Practice

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Re: War of 1812 Campaign Guide for Sharp Practice

Postby Redbad » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:10 pm

Old Glory makes a fine range of 1812 Americans and they are rather inexpensive as lead goes. I would definately advise that you check them out. I have a goodly number myself and a number of fellows I've gamed with do as well. The guns are a little spindly in the axel, however, and their barrels are a little squashed (oval rather than round at the mouth) but the gunners are very fine.
Redbad

Postby Trailape » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:00 am

Hi
I got a copy and highly rate it.
I was actually thinking of doing a campaign covering the period focusing on the 102nd Foot, (previously the 'NSW Corps' / Rum Corps).
I've obtained all my US and Canadian troops from BRIGADE GAMES except for the US Rifles and Dragoons and Kentucky Mounted Rifles (Militia) which I'll obtain from OLD GLORY and US Regulars which I make using some Victrix and Perry Plastic leftovers.
The Brits I already have covered.
I AM MY BROTHER'S KEEPER
Trailape

Postby Redbad » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:43 pm

Good plug on Brigade Games, Trailape! I also highly recommend their fabulous line of Napoleonic and 1812 figures. They have some great naval figures for the period; lots of landing party lads. They are more pricey than the Old Glory but are perfect for lead addicts like myself.
Also, love your avatar, Trailape! "Stand Steady!!!!!!" LOL
:D
Redbad

Postby MikeH » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:12 am

I really like the Brigade games figures (most of them are sculpted my Paul Hicks so you know they'll be good)
I haven't looked at Old Glory myself but I do like Knuckledusters figures, they are very characterful

@Trailape if you do put together a campaign covering the 102nd Foot, please post details I'd love to see what you come up with
catch me on twitter Wargamer_Mike
Or hear my whittering on about stuff on the Meeples and Miniatures podcast and on my Blog http://mikehobbs.co.uk
MikeH

Postby Trailape » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:13 am

Redbad wrote:Good plug on Brigade Games, Trailape! I also highly recommend their fabulous line of Napoleonic and 1812 figures. They have some great naval figures for the period; lots of landing party lads. They are more pricey than the Old Glory but are perfect for lead addicts like myself.
Also, love your avatar, Trailape! "Stand Steady!!!!!!" LOL
:D

Yep,..
I've purchased a bunch of their Napoleonic sailors to go with the recently release PERRY RN sailors and Marines.
They will look cool on my OLD GLORY SHIPYARD 25mm ships
I AM MY BROTHER'S KEEPER
Trailape

Postby frostydog » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:18 pm

Bought the PDF the other day and had a quick read well done. Stuart Asquith's The War of 1812 Campaign Guide still my go to resource but the Sharp Practice guide makes an excellent addition.

Bit surprised that 19th Light Dragoons are Impact Cavalry.

All my US are Foundry bit smaller than Brigade Games figures which is wee shame, but I like them. British are Victrix painful to put together too fine and spindly (much prefer metals).

Glad Trailape has done those reprobates from the 102nd, could use them against Irish rebels in a Vinegar Hill scenario.
frostydog

Postby macsparty » Tue May 02, 2017 1:47 pm

Interested in picking these up, though I have no minis for the period just yet! Curious if the scenarios include the Battle of Mackinac Island, which did include the 41st?
macsparty

Postby Redbad » Thu May 04, 2017 3:49 pm

Glad you're joining our merry band of 1812ers, Macsparty! I would highly recommend The British Army at Mackinac 1812-1813 by Brian Dunnigan. It is available from the Mackinac Parks Service at http://www.mackinacparks.com/books-publ ... 1812-1815/ for $3.00 USD. I have a copy and can attest to its wealth of information, including British uniforms and a fabulous scaled map of the battle. I also discovered War 1812 by George May, also offered by the Parks Service at http://www.mackinacparks.com/books-publ ... /war-1812/ for $6.00 USD. I hope this info is of use. The Battle of Mackinac, August 1814, is a good one to start with as the forces involved were minuscule and it lends itself very well to Sharp Practice 2 style skirmishing.

An interesting side note - though descended from the English side of the family, I am distantly related to the Yank commander of the Fort, Lieutenant Porter Hanks, who, totally unaware of the outbreak of war, was forced to surrender by the surrounding forces of The Crown, commanded by Captain Roberts of the 10th Royal Veteran Battalion. Later, while on parole at Detroit, Hanks was seated in the American Officers' mess when his head was blasted from his shoulders by a round shot fired from Brock's siege battery. Not the most lucky member of the family!

R :D B
Redbad

Postby MikeH » Fri May 05, 2017 12:06 pm

macsparty wrote:Interested in picking these up, though I have no minis for the period just yet! Curious if the scenarios include the Battle of Mackinac Island, which did include the 41st?

hi mate

as others have said, welcome to the forum.

there isn't a scenario set at the Battle of Mackinac Island I'm afraid, I was thinking about doing one when I created the book but had problems finding a way to make it fit with the scope of Sharp Practice

the scenarios in the book are

Queenston Heights (2 scenarios)
Frenchtown
Fort Meigs
Battle of Thames
St Lawrence River
Fort Erie

as a bit more information for you, I based a lot of the scenarios on a decriptions in “the Journal of Shadrach Byfield" which is freely available on the web and is a great read
catch me on twitter Wargamer_Mike
Or hear my whittering on about stuff on the Meeples and Miniatures podcast and on my Blog http://mikehobbs.co.uk
MikeH

Previous

Return to Sharp Practice