Mississippi Marine Brigade Force List

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Re: Mississippi Marine Brigade Force List

Postby JimLeCat » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:24 pm

Irregular do eagles...

Actually, if you asked nicely, they'd probably do seagulls!
JimLeCat

Postby poiter50 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:41 pm

The Zombicide game has a Murder of Crows but it would just be a single point, so a tad pricey. Paint job in 28mm would disguise the origin.

Edit: There are 15 bases of crows in each box, so it may actually be worthwhile to use at least 2-4 of them as deployment points with 1-2 bases per point. If bought, could be shared out with gaming mates.

PS, I had a skim through the thesis written by a guy in the US for the Texas Christian University when doing his Masters, it is interesting. While they were disbanded before the end of the war, it was more internal politics or inter service wrangling rather than ineffectiveness.
poiter50

Postby shandy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:15 pm

HarnessBlue wrote:http://ep.yimg.com/ay/elegant-horse-pictures/don-troiani-u-s-marines-1861-1865-signed-and-numbered-print-5.gif

Sorry, but this is not an image of the Mississippi Marine Brigade. It's an image of US Marines.

The MMB was a special branch which operated on the rivers and belonged neither to the Navy nor the Army and had different uniforms - as I wrote, they wore the 'normal' Union blue (not the white trousers of the Marine Corps) with round caps.

It's a bit confusing, I know, but the regular Marines wouldn't have liked it to be confused with the Mississippi Marine Brigade, which had quite a rowdy reputation ;)
shandy

Postby shandy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:24 pm

Here's an image of the Uniform on some large scale models, unfortunately I can't find the original site... it was a German language forum, I think.

shandy

Postby poiter50 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:03 am

Does anyone know of the ships used for this force? I'm thinking of getting the Battlefield Accessories ACW boats/ships that they have produced. The alternative is to use my existing Paddle Steamers originally gathered for African conflicts.
poiter50

Postby shandy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:29 am

The Brigade had purchased five large New Orleans packets, named Autocrat, B.J. Adams, Baltic, Diana and John Raine, which were modified to carry each about 125 cavalry with horse and 250 infantry.

Here's an image of Autocrat:
(sorry, I don't know how to resize images, but if you open it in another tab, it gets shown in full size)

Here's a photo of Baltic:

They also had a supply vessel, the E.H. Fairchild, and the Woodford, a hospital boat.

Here's an image of Woodford:

The special thing about the boats was a large crane on the forecastle, which allowed a railed gateway to be dropped, wide enough for two horses abreast. Those landing bridges allowed the Brigade's cavalry to deploy quickly, which caught the Rebels by surprise a couple of times.
shandy

Postby poiter50 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:52 pm

That's great, thanks.
poiter50

Postby poiter50 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:41 am

Having obtained a copy of Osprey's Mississippi Gunboats (an excellent Angus Konstam book), I have now decided to go for the Sarissa Ironclad and use one of my old River stern wheeler steamers which will have to substitute for a side wheeler. Simply some artistic licence.
poiter50

Previous

Return to Sharp Practice