Light Car Patrols

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Light Car Patrols

Postby paulr » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:13 am

Hi All,

I have some Light Cars on order for a Sinai ITLSU force. While Light Car Patrols are mentioned under Armoured cars and Tanks in the Troops section I can't find any specific rules for them. I assume they would move and fire as Armoured cars. However, I suspect the rules for firing on them should be different to the rules for firing on armoured cars or tanks (9.17 firing on AFVs).

Basically they were Model T trucks with a Vickers MG or similar mounted on the back deck and possibly a Lewis or similar mounted next to the driver.

Should infantry be able to damage Light Cars beyond short range?

Should infantry be able to get kills on Light Car?

Should Light Cars counts as hard cover targets?

How many strength points should a Light Car start he game with (Armoured cars 4, Tanks 6)?

Looking forward to your answers and raiding Johnny Turk in a Model T,
Paul
paulr

Re: Light Car Patrols

Postby Charles Eckart » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:30 pm

Found a little on light car mobility.

On open/good going ground speed doesn't seem to be appreciably faster than an armored car so no change.

Because they are much lighter than an armored car their movement in bad going and loose sand should be quite a bit better than an armored car.

Still looking for battle use.
Charles Eckart

Postby paulr » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:20 am

Thanks Charles,

I had similar thoughts about mobility. From the little I have read so far the MGs were fairly effective but theight cars seem to have been used mainly for scouting which suggests some vulnerability.

Regrds,
Paul
paulr

Postby Ostafrika » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:44 am

Claud williams memoir provides a lot of detail about light car operations. Although primarily used for patrolling (rather than scouting) and mapping they were originally designed to be handmaidens to the Rolls Royce armoured cars. However they soon proved to be better in most terrain types than the RR units and acted both as support and as operational units in their own right. At Siwa for example six armoured cars and a dozen light cars were the only troops involved. The LCs could scramble up steep hillsides and over broken ground. The LCs were faster and more reliable. Oddly there is hardly any references to them sustaining battle damage. This could be because there just wasn't much to a Model T that could be damaged.
Ostafrika

Postby Charles Eckart » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:39 pm

I'm inclined to think a strength of 2 but unless moving on a road they can only be targeted at short range by Infantry-MG's-artillery.

The reason is I think the crews would be using whatever cover, low spots or scrub available unless on a road. If patrolling or scouting they would be looking for any potentially hostile forces and if seen would certainly use cover.
Charles Eckart

Return to If the Lord Spares Us