visiting verdun (fixed!)

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

aphillathehun

visiting verdun (fixed!)

Post by aphillathehun » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:06 pm

I'm planning to make the trip in March on the tail end of a business trip. Anyone here been there and any tips for the first time visitor?

Sorry about the previous request for info on Versailles. I've been there many times and I don't know how I got that into the subject line....

Richard
Site Admin

Re: visiting verdun (fixed!)

Post by Richard » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:00 pm

I've not been, nor have I done much reading on Verdun, but I know Sidney has. I will ask him if he has any reccomendations.

Rich

Craig Ambler

Post by Craig Ambler » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:43 pm

I went about 15 years ago. You must see Forts Vaux Donaumont and the museums there. We walked round the perimeter of the both and managed to camp there for a week. Then it was up to the British area. Good three months that.

A bit of a story as well. My brother and I got to Fort Vaux at the same time as some Germans. You may think people forgot but the old dear there hadn't. She wouldn't let them in at the same time as us, but in the end let us in free whilst they paid! The funny thing was this dear was about 4' 2" and there were 6 Germans and a couple of them were big lads but she certainly was in charge.

In the end we played football with them the next day so all was well.

Craig

Chris Gilbride

Post by Chris Gilbride » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:51 pm

I was there in 2007 with family and some friends for a long weekend, obvioulsy not enough time to see everything that deserves to be seen, but the wives and kids wanted to do things too. :o

Tips for the visitor:
Good walking shoes
NO metal detectors
Don't go too far off the paths
Get a good book before hand (Battleground Europe: Fort Douaumont was a good start).

Anyway The Ossuary is interesting. Fort Douaumont a must see, as is Douaumont village itself - well it's more what isn't there now.

Not too far away is St Mihiel with some impressive views of the area.

Just a couple of the photos from those days. One thing that I still remember is just how quiet it is at these places.

Chris
You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

Craig Ambler

Post by Craig Ambler » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:17 pm

Good photos there. They certainly bring back some memories.

Funny I too remember how quiet it all was. We were out in the Somme and Verdun areas for about 6 weeks and everywhere we went we were mostly alone.

Going to the cemeteries is also important as it all brings it to reality, and I always make me ponder.

Craig

mickar

Post by mickar » Mon May 19, 2014 9:02 pm

I was last year and it was great time!
I recommend you buy good map (IGN topo 1:25000) where all wartime objects are marked. Beyond must-to-see locations (vaux, ossuary, dounamount)there are many good points and even 10 days is not too much... There are some marked educational trails which are safe to walk (for ex. trail from second line ammunition depots to froidetterie) and walking on the battlefield is far more inspirational than just drive through with car. If you take good torch some forts can be visited, which are all open and some of them are easy and safe (4 chimneys, froidetterie are a must)trench lines going through woods are also interesting and some are marked... bois d'Haudromont as well with remnants of trenches and hideouts, Driants monument and battlefield around... good history book about battle with maps is also helpfull

Except verdun 40-50 km arounds are plenty interesting spots:
mort homme with educational trail
mine warfare places- there is destroyed by mines village Butte de Montfaucon, where mine shafts can be visited on weekends with local club - they are impresive, as well as trail around craters. mine warfare places in argonne are also great - with kaisertunnel possible for visiting
st michiel salient - with reconstructed trenches, second line camps etc,
voie sacre with its museum

and many many more
there is good tourist information with series of free booklets about wartime locations..., having bike and sightseeing from the sadle is also another good option :)
I slept on cheap (5E?), friendly and nice located camping on the Meuse channel in Charny sur Meuse, 20 min on bike from battlefield... if you have detailed questions you welcome:)
Michal

aphillathehun

Post by aphillathehun » Sun May 25, 2014 11:44 pm

Sadly I didn't make it. The morning I was supposed to go I woke up with a seriously bad case of food poisoning. It was pretty late in the day before I'd venture out of my room and I wasn't really over it until the next day.

I still intend to go, but it's not in the foreseeable future now.

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:28 am

Cor, bleedin' unlucky mate. Sorry to hear that.

Rich