Starting M&B

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Darren

Starting M&B

Post by Darren » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:20 am

I'm starting M&B.

I have ordered two platoons each of 28mm 1914 French and Germans with supporting artillery, cavalry and HMGs, from North Star Military Figures.

I have some questions.

Painting French Infantry.
Is there a particular blue colour I should use for the 1914 coats/jackets? Looking at painting guides and photos there does not appear to one specific colour.

Dis-mounted French Cavalry figures.
I've order Dragons and Curassiers, I struggling to find dis-mounted 28mm figures; does anyone know where I can buy these figures. Or, do I need to buy Napoleonic figures and convert them?

Clarification of rifle fire.
I understand rifle armed infantry fire with half-a-dice per action; meaning if both actions are used for firing then one dice is rolled. Is this correct?

Regards
Darren

Archdukek

Re: Starting M&B

Post by Archdukek » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:50 am

Sorry can't help with your questions on paint and figures for the French.

On the final rules question, if my memory serves me, it is "half-a-dice per action per man" so a section which chooses to move with one action can then fire with half the dice it would receive had it remained stationary and used both actions to fire. In the latter case it would roll 1 dice for each rifleman in the section. A single rifleman on his own needs to use both actions to fire for it to have any potential effect.

John

Darren

Post by Darren » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:26 am

Thank you John

Groupe_Franc

Post by Groupe_Franc » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:40 pm

The French tunics were of a darkish blue. I'd use the shade of blue I'd use for Union ACW troops. The overcoat, the capote, however, was made of an "iron blue-grey" cloth. Remember that the trousers worn by chasseurs a pied and colonial infantry were also dark blue not scarlet.
I can't prove it but am dubious that cuirassiers or dragoons ever fought dismounted. But that's just a hunch.
How are you organizing platoons?
Good luck.

Darren

Post by Darren » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:17 am

Thank you for your helpful reply.

I agree with your thoughts regarding French cavalry not dis-mounting. I recall reading at sometime in the past that the cuirassiers refused to dis-mount as it was beneath to fight on foot; but the dragoons would fight on foot if they were desperate. Another reason given was that french cavalry in 1914 were armed with carbines and not rifles meaning the they need to get close to their target to fire. I will probably allow the dragoons to dis-mount after they pass some sought of test; I will need to think about this.

With organizing my platoons I'm planning give the each french platoons, 2 sections of 15 rifles and 1 NCO, with platoon HQ being an officer with 2-4 rifles. Company HQ will be 1 (maybe 2) Officer, 4-6 rifles.

German platoons will be 3 sections with 12 rifles with 1 NCO. Platoon HQ will be 1 Officer 2-4 rifles. Company HQ will be 1 (maybe 2) Officer, 4-6 rifles.

I acknowledge that this is not completely historically accurate, but there was cost consideration as my figures need to be shipped to Australia. And, what the TO&E said was usually different to what could be put in the field.

Regards
Darren

Groupe_Franc

Post by Groupe_Franc » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:28 pm

The Christmas 2013 Special contains two articles on German and BEF infantry tactics of 1914. The material is also contained in the *Play the Game* compendium. Unfortunately the articles do not cover the French.