Turn Sequnece, Cards and 'Blinds'

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Turn Sequnece, Cards and 'Blinds'

Postby WhiteStag » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:18 pm

Hi all, I'm new to Two Fat Lardies games and I've picked up Through the Mud and the Blood which I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into. The only problem I'm having is I can't for the life of me understand the card system.

I'm sure its dead simple, but if anybody could explain to me the turn sequence, cards and what an earth a 'blind' is and what id does in game in laymans terms, I'd be dead grateful.

Or if you can reccomend any video's of people playing through a game of Through the Mud and the Blood or any other Two Fat Lardies games with a similar system so that I can see the process in action, that would also be very helpful

Cheers

Wilko
WhiteStag

Re: Turn Sequnece, Cards and 'Blinds'

Postby Archdukek » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:06 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of TFL Wilko and to this Forum. Once you get into the way a TFL game works I am sure that you will enjoy the experience.

I am not aware of any videos for Through the Mud and the Blood. However, if you search on YouTube under IABSM you will find a number of videos for that game which also uses a system of Blinds, Cards and Big Men which may help you understand the concept.

Basically there is no Turn Sequence as such in TMTB, the action in any turn is determined by the order in which the cards are drawn. When a particular Big Man (Leader) card is drawn he can use his Command Initiative to do various things as set out on page 6 which can include activating a Group of men under his command and within his influence range to act. Those troops can then use the 2 actions they are allowed to do various things listed on page 8 including moving or firing.

Other cards in the deck will activate support units like an MG who can act when their card is drawn. The deck can include Command Initiative cards which a Big Man can use to increase his Command Initiatives for that turn allowing him to activate more units. Some of the cards introduce National Characteristics which can be used to add flavour to a game or scenario but are not always used.

This use of cards means that you cannot predict in advance when or even if a unit will be activated. Since the cards for both sides are included in the same deck the initiative can switch from one side to the other randomly and sometimes one side will get a run of cards before the other can respond. You need to learn to take advantage of such opportunities when you can and be prepared for when your opponent pulls that on you.

When the 'Time for a Snifter' card is drawn the Turn Ends, the turn end sequence is followed and the cards are reshuffled for a new turn to begin. This means that not all Big Men or Support Units will be activated each Turn introducing some essential friction into the game. This takes some adjusting to if you haven't played a TFL game before. For your initial games I would recommend using 2 Snifter cards and only ending the turn when the second one is drawn thus increasing the chance of a particular card being drawn.

Blinds represent the Fog of War and emphasise that often commanders needed to be able to find and identify the enemy in the chaos of the battlefield. It also allows for a degree of hidden movement since your opponent cannot know precisely which troops are represented by a Blind until he successfully rolls to spot it or they reveal themselves by deploying on the table and open fire. A Blind is just a piece of card roughly 6"x2" which can represent 1 or 2 groups of men operating together. At the start of the game both sides will normally deploy and move their own Blinds until spotted by the enemy. The Blinds are activated when the Blind Card for that side is drawn.

Worth keeping in mind that pieces of terrain capable of hiding men in it can also act like a Blind card.

Hope that explanation helps a bit. While the system can take a bit of effort to get your head around at first once you start playing the rules this will all become second nature. If anyone near you plays TFL rules I would advice watching a game to help get you started.

John
Archdukek

Re: Turn Sequnece, Cards and 'Blinds'

Postby WhiteStag » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:38 am

Thanks for the great reply John. Really helped.

Wilko
WhiteStag

Return to Through the Mud and the Blood