A2A

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

philhendry

A2A

Post by philhendry »

Hi folks,

I've managed to join, and will be happy to answer questions and chat about the rules here. I shall publicise this forum on my A2A blog when I get a minute.

Cheers,
Phil
EvilGinger

Re: A2A

Post by EvilGinger »

Good stuff Phil

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....
aphillathehun

Post by aphillathehun »

Have you tried A2A for Romans vs Parthians? I'm wondering how it handles Parthians.
philhendry

Post by philhendry »

It seems to be how you'd imagine - if the Parthians have plenty of room, they can keep shooting and evading so as to wear the Romans down before closing in to finish them off. If space or terrain are restricted, so the Romans can pin down and close with the Parthian cavalry early on, they can win.
EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger »

Doubly interesting as fighting the Pathians is a difficult prospect for the earlier Roman armies. It is however one which many rules sets seem to have trouble modeling.

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....
philhendry

Post by philhendry »

I'm not sure it's the rules (any rules) which are at fault - it's that we wargamers play our games on tables, which set artificial constraints on movement which real battlefields don't have.

Romans should struggle against Parthians, as they did historically, if your rules work properly! But that is tempered by forcing them to fight on a table of fixed size, from which withdrawal means defeat under most rules. By tweaking the rules to allow troops which 'evade' to return at another point, you can get around that to an extent.

We didn't play a lot of test-games with Parthians - the games weren't actually that interesting - it really came down to what I said in my posts above, and once you know that Parthians win on big open tables, and Romans win on small tables (unless you tweak the rules on leaving and returning), it stops being interesting.