9th Century Monasteries in Neustria

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Groupe_Franc

9th Century Monasteries in Neustria

Post by Groupe_Franc » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:45 pm

I'm slowly pulling together what I need for games and maybe a campaign in Neustria. The new 1940 supplement will slow things down but I think that, thanks to the Vikings series, I'll attract 2-3 people around here. The Abbey of St. Dymphna will often be involved. I have the buildings and am now wondering whether a monastery would have been surrounded by a wall of either stone or wood that would be stout enough to serve as a military obstacle. A documentary mentioned that Lindisfarne was surrounded by a fence for the purpose of denoting holy ground but would have little of no military significane. Would a monastery in the 'danger zone' have built something more substantial? Had Benedictine monks and nuns adopted habits by the 9th century? I'd like to 'populate' the abbey because the Vikings often took slaves and a game built around rescuing the slaves would be part of a mini-campaign. TIA

Peter

Re: 9th Century Monasteries in Neustria

Post by Peter » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:35 am

I'd imagine there would be some kind of wall (perhaps a palisade) but I'd guess it would surround an area of garden at least , as well as the buildings (probably including a guest house if nothing else).

Peter