dumb question on movement obstacles and "broken" status due to Google-fu failure

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

tonicnh

dumb question on movement obstacles and "broken" status due to Google-fu failure

Post by tonicnh » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:41 pm

Am currently in the midst of my first game in a while and just noticed something on the obstacle penalties for movement...

a)According to my copy of the rules steep slopes count as a minor obstacle and steep hillsides as medium.(p38)

My gut instinct us that this seems to be a typo and l'd suggest gentle slope/hill as being a minor obstacle...however I haven't been able to locate anything online or otherwise to support this supposition

b) one of the melees resulted in a group being "broken" is this the same as routed or something else....a search of "broken" in the pdf rulebook didn't give any clues as to its effects.

Can any kind soul out there point me in the right direction for answers to the above?

Archdukek

Re: dumb question on movement obstacles and "broken" status due to Google-fu failure

Post by Archdukek » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:25 pm

a) No I don't think it is a typo. There is no penalty for moving on a gentle slope. A steep slope is otherwise open ground whose steepness is such as to slow down troops moving on it.
A steep hillside is more broken terrain combined with a steep slope so is therefore a Medium obstacle.

b) I'm not sure I understand the question entirely. A Formation can be "broken" as a consequence of melee, in other words the Groups making it up become individual Groups. Groups can be routed if the Combat goes badly and they have more Shock than men.

John

tonicnh

Re: dumb question on movement obstacles and "broken" status due to Google-fu failure

Post by tonicnh » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:30 pm

Thanks for the quick response John especially for clarifying the differences between a steep slope and a steep hills

Must admt my initial thoughts on broken were similar to yours i.e. broken just means that a formation now is split into its individual groups. In our case we were dealing with a +3 men killed on a single group which wasnot in a formation and we misinterpreted/ovethought things!

Thanks once again

regards

Neil