Duxulator

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Garth

Duxulator

Post by Garth » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:38 pm

In game such as COC we have the CoCulator where we can basically build our own forces. The samething exists to an extent in Sharpes Practice, but what about DUX where the army lists are pretty much set. I very much want to build my own army strengths not only for Saxon/Romano Brits/Picts etc but also for Vikings, Normans and other dark age armies.

Someone did mention about using the lists from Lion Rampant and Dux Bellorum. I'm wondering if others have used these books or have similar ideas, or there is a resource I haven't come across yet.

Groupe_Franc

Re: Duxulator

Post by Groupe_Franc » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:53 pm

A couple of months ago I decided to leap into Dux except that I wanted to game the Carolingians vs. the Vikings. A request to this forum yielded the URL for the Facebook page devoted to Dux https://www.facebook.com/groups/duxbritanniarum/files/ It is complete including cards. ALso the Christmas 2012 had an article about the Vikings' incursions in England. It's a shame you don't live in Seattle.

GunnarL

Post by GunnarL » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:17 pm

I did up a very basic points cost for the basic troop types. I will note, this is not based on play-testing yet, but just a rough estimate.

Elite: 1 pt
Warrior: 1/2 pts
Levy: 1/3 pts
Skirm/Missile: 1/4 pts
Ability to form shieldwall: 1/3-1/2 pts

Like I said, rough estimates, but if you try it out it, let me know if it's too far off.

Garth

Post by Garth » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:47 am

I was thinking of something along the same lines except

Elites 4 points
Warriors 3 points
Levy 2 points
Skirmishers 1 point

one point for abilities i.e. shield wall or 1 point if mounted so an elite unit mounted becomes 5 points or 2 points if Shock Cavalry

Then 3 points for a status three noble and 2 points for a status 2 noble. Champions are free but you can only ever have one.

This means that from the core rule book a Romano British Force works out like this...

Two groups of warriors 6 points
one Elite Comanipulars 4 points
Three groups of levy 6 points
One group of slingers 1 point
On status 3 noble
Two status 2 nobles
Special Rules: Shield Wall 1 point.

Total 25 points.

The Saxon Force works out to be...

Three groups of Geoguth Warriors 9 points
Two groups of Gedridht 8 points
Missile Troops 1 point
One status 3 Noble
Two status 2 nobles

Total 25 points.

This means that (If my maths is correct) that both armies are equal

I haven't worked out the armies from the other book yet but 25 points seems a nice number for a starter army.