Multiple-Player-Games, Captured Nobles

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Multiple-Player-Games, Captured Nobles

Postby LittleCaesar » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:53 am

Hi everyone, I've started a Dux Britannium campaign over the cities of the Sabrina with some highschoolers from my church and tutoring students. After only one raid even our resident "slow rules-learner" has got the gist of the game, which is fantastic! The game itself went down to the wire, with both sides losing 16 men, the British peasants swamping a unit of Saxon hearthgaurds while the rest of the Saxon army ran rampant over a stubborn British vanguard in the forest. The stolen cattle were allowed to be taken off the board without much of a fight...

A couple of questions came out of it all-

Firstly, you can't form shieldwall in forests, can you? The poor British tribune got caught in the forests outnumbered 2-1 while EVERYONE ELSE went chasing after my Saxon lord and his single unit of hearthguards.

Secondly, what do you do with captured nobles? The tribune got himself captured, so I decided to let the British ransom him back for a Beggar's Bowl in wealth (losing a Bowl while the Saxons gained a Bowl) on top of the in-game results. What would you normally do in those circumstances?

Lastly, and most importantly, what would you guys do if you had 7 or 8 people wanting to play? Word is spreading 'round and now more and more people want in. Any advice? I'm thinking I might either need to give each command of one group, or split the teams up up into a multi-player campaign.

Is it feasible to finish a raid in two hours?

Any advice would be most welcome, thank you very much! This is my first post on the forum, but I'm hoping there will be many more TFL games with this mob in the future! AAR to follow...
LittleCaesar

Re: Multiple-Player-Games, Captured Nobles

Postby JimLeCat » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:13 am

Hi,

Welcome to the forum and to TFL!

Firstly, in answer to your rules questions:-

No you can't form a shieldwall in a forest, you need a clear space to close up your formation.

The rules don't cover it, so it's up you to decide. We did pretty much the same thing, although personally I think you set the ransom pretty low!

As to the number of players, we've played battles with up to 6 players, but for raids I'd probably go for a multi-player campaign (which is what we have, with about 10 players divided between Raiders and RB).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jim
JimLeCat

Re: Multiple-Player-Games, Captured Nobles

Postby Archdukek » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:13 am

Welcome to the Forum and TFL fun,

Just to confirm Jim's point on multiplayer games I think campaigns are the way to go. Personally, learning the rules apart, I wouldn't want to play a normal game with more than 2 players a side. There would be too little for the players to do in my opinion.

We have also run a Club campaign with 8 players. We just adopted a rule that no player could be attacked more than once per turn and simply drew names to decide who had the initiative and could choose his opponent and worked down the list until everyone who could fight that month was paired off. We also ruled that if someone suffered a bad defeat which left him with a reduced force for a couple of months that only applied to the original attacker. Anyone else attacking would find the defenders turned out in full force. Stops folk all picking on the weakest player.

We have had a raid over within an hour on a couple of occasions! It all depends on the initial dice rolls for positioning forces. In one case my Saxons started on the edge of the village, moved into the houses on Turn 1, rolled two '6's from 3 dice on Turn 2 and on Turn 3 were heading for home while the Britons were still moving their troops on at the very far end of the table. Game over before it began. That's Fate for you!

John
Archdukek

Return to Dux Britanniarum