New to game. Basing question.

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

eviljim

New to game. Basing question.

Post by eviljim »

I recently purchased the rules and haven't received them in the mail yet. I'm looking at getting the 15mm army packs from Splintered Light Miniatures. I'm wondering how the units should be based to work with the rules. Are they based individually or are they based as units on a single base for the troops?

JimLeCat

Re: New to game. Basing question.

Post by JimLeCat »

Hi,

You base all the figures individually, although some people (myself included) use movement trays to make it easier to move groups. I use 20mm round bases with my 28mm figures.

The only other proviso is that the leaders should be easily recognisable, I base mine on slightly larger bases - 25mm round bases.

Since you are using 15mm, you could use smaller bases, although I think the 20mm ones would probably be OK. There are others on here who use smaller scales for Dux Brit, I'm sure they'll chip in in a bit with the base sizes they use.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jim

Game master

Post by Game master »

15mm makes for a little bit different game play I think.. Longer shots a lot more terrain .... Most of us I think that play use 25mm round bases or washers or even coins and they're based individually. You can put your support weapons like mortars or mgs multiple stand bases or make a little diorama .. There's a great way to do that and make them so you can take the individual figures of In case of casualties on the artizan design website !! 20-28mm figures make great for individual feeling as well !! Good luck happy gaming !!

NTM

Post by NTM »

I base my individual 15mm on 20mm discs.
There are pictures of my vikings on the yahoo group IIRC

agent_pumpkin

Post by agent_pumpkin »

Like all lardy games there is no specific scale or basing required. You can base individually or multiple figures on a base as you desire. However, Dux does use figure removal to indicate casualties. So you may need to use some sort of casualty markers if you don't base individually.

Of course (as mentioned in the rules on page 5) you could base multiple figures on a base and then remove each base as a casualty, but that would require you to have groups of 6 bases. So that really depends how many 15 mm figures you want to buy.

Anyway, the short answer is - anyway you like. :)
Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

One of our group re based all his 15mm DBM figures with 3-4 figures on a 30mm square base, and treats 1 stand as the equivalent of 1 28mm figure for casualty removal etc. Big Men are on 30mm circular bases with standards so that they stand out - visually it looks great and probably comes to close to 1:1 scale for many battles of the period.

I'm still smiling at the idea of Hengist ordering Horsa to bring up the 3" mortars...

agent_pumpkin

Post by agent_pumpkin »

Indeed! This is why the Saxons where so successful, MMGs!

;)
Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Fettster

Post by Fettster »

We are using Splintered Light 15mm figures and have used 15mm round bases for troops, and 20mm for leaders with movement trays, all made for us by the superb chaps at Warbases (usual disclaimer, no assocaition, just happy customer)
Kind Regards

Leigh

NTM

Post by NTM »

Warbases excellent product and service same with Minibits and 4ground via Colonel Bills. I'd recommend any of them.

WamBam thank you mam

Post by WamBam thank you mam »

Don't want to say something and have people get their "pitch forks" but on basing .. Is it easier to just base your men on individual stands instead of all together with multiple figures to a base ?