Kingdom of Soissons and Merovingian Franks

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Kingdom of Soissons and Merovingian Franks

Postby GunnarL » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:27 pm

Does anyone think that you could do a campaign during the rise of the Franks? It was a Roman rump state led by the last remaining Imperial Romans in Gaul and it only collapsed after the loss of the battle of Soissons to Clovis, which was the end of any major power structure in Gaul outside the Franks.

Due to the kingdom's small size and the short time period, it could make a fantastic campaign, but I'm unsure of the scale of conflict. It outwardly appears that the conflict was mostly raiding, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of info in an easy search.
Last edited by GunnarL on Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GunnarL

Re: Thoughts on a Kingdom of Soissons Campaign?

Postby WillieB » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:00 am

Do you mean the Syagrius campaign in Belgica II? Clovis et al?
It would make a fantastic campaign especially with the Armorican bacaudae and such. We played a few separate games using these forces but no campaign as of yet. For some reason the British campaigns are more alluring to the majority of our players. Not having a dedicated range of Salian Franks may also be a factor.
You can't buy honour.
WillieB

Postby GunnarL » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:47 am

Yeah, hopefully Footsore or Saxon will make some at some point. Otherwise I'll have to use Goths and other German tribes.
GunnarL

Postby siggian » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:32 pm

I'm afraid I read Kingdom of Saucisses, so I was ready for a Banger vs Bratwurst campaign.
siggian

Postby GunnarL » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:54 pm

Brats would obviously win there, of course. Not much of a campaign. :-)
GunnarL

Re: Kingdom of Soissons and Merovingian Franks

Postby GunnarL » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:06 pm

Ok, so I've started moving forward with the Campaign supplement and minis. I'm currently in the process of building a relatively generic Late Roman army that I will include more specifically Romano-British and Gallo Romans in order to change the theme. This means some minis with check patterns on some of the British and some Germanic stripes for some of the Gallo-Romans. In terms of minis, it will probably be around 2/3 of the minis in the army will be standard Roman-types, with 1/3 being location specific. The elites will be location specific, as will the characters. This will allow me to have distinct armies, but reduce the cost and time to do so.

As for the Franks, I've heard that there are some Franks out there, but I'm personally a huge fan of Footsore, so I'll be doing a lot of conversion work to change their Goths and Late Romans into proper Frankish warriors. The distinct hairstyles and moustaches will be prevalent throughout the army, especially the warriors, elites, and characters.

As for the campaign supplement, I've written up a good portion of the Roman fluff and started on the changes to the campaign system. I'd like to add a little more intrigue to it and make things a touch more strategic, but I'm looking to keep it nice and simple still. The Romans will be able to influence the rise of the Frankish player and could potentially stave off their own collapse a little longer through the clever use of politicking and proper Roman subterfuge. The Frankish campaign will be a meld of the Irish and the Saxons with the potential of infighting with other Franks, but the focus should be towards expanding into Roman territory and attempting to rise to the top of the Franks. The campaign should remain pretty simple, which is the strength of Dux Brit, but it will be slightly expanded to bring some of the character of the campaign to light and also provide some more depth.

Below are some examples of my Franks and the Romans.

Let me know what you guys think!
GunnarL

Return to Dux Britanniarum