The Road to Bremen Chain of Command AAR Updated 06 05 18

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

BaronVonWreckedoften

Re: The Road to Bremen Chain of Command AAR Updated 02 03 18

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:33 am

Excellent write-up - can't wait for the next (final) instalment.

Rawnsley

Post by Rawnsley » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:38 am

Splendid, a fine read to start the day. Another riveting read of the campaign, it will be a shame to see it end.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:46 pm

Great AAR as always but I am surprised the Brits won that one considering
1.) No pregame barrage
2.) Taking a Sherman - again!
3.) not taking a section of Bren carriers rather than a singleton
4.) And the biggie not firing the mortar barrage phase one and then creeping it into the woods where he knew you had to deploy. This would have allowed him to stroll up to the hedge completely unopposed.

Look forward to the next instalment.

Hindsight is 20/20 :lol:

MLB

Post by MLB » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:50 am

I was expecting a pre-game barrage, so was surprised there wasn’t one and with the mortar barrage I would have brought it in early and walked it, much like I did in the final Citadel game.

That said, I’m partly culpable in my own defeat.

While I could do little about it, I lost the patrol phase. That mainly was down to luck, but it was a bad start. Nonetheless I may have been better placing one JoP forward and two back.

Where I stuffed up without anyone’s assistance was deploying way too soon in the woods. There was no advantage to revealing my hand so soon.

Another one was using the CoC die to interrupt instead of end the turn and the barrage.

I should have made the 2” mortar team a priority for the sniper, as for most of the game they were on their own and there was a reasonable chance of pinning and/or breaking them given they are such a small team.

Without the barrage and the mortar smoke it would have been a lot tougher for the British. I doubt I could have won, but I had hoped to inflict greater casualties.
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:40 am

Yeah looking from your POV the Brits copped a get out of Jail card when their officer mooned your sniper and got away with it - we learned pretty quick never to deploy anyone important more than 4" from a section.

The best way to get some quick and easy kills on the Brits would have been with a flamethrower or MMG (preferably both) in ambush mode
As you say holding back your core sections until absolutely necessary. as a mortar barrage playing down the length of the table is brutal.

OberstRothmann

Post by OberstRothmann » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:13 am

The British took (for me at least) a few calculated risks here;

By not taking a pregame barrage was he hoping to force your hand ....pressurising you to get something on the table?

Taking the Shermans was an interesting choice but surely improved the British chances of taking on the Pak40?

The solitary carrier was always a sacrificial support pick....not especially powerful in its own right yet if left unattended could possibly threaten a jump off point?

Taking the FO and his mortar barrage was not much of a shock when the pregame barrage wasn't selected though I also wonder why it wasn't taking from phase one and then pushed into the woods where your jump off points were clustered. This oversight was all the more surprising considering your experience in the Citadel campaign?

Peter

Post by Peter » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:24 pm

Thinking about it, if you are on the receiving end of a pre-game barrage, you are probably under more pressure to deploy early, just in case you can't later on.

Anyway, enough second-guessing, since I wasn't having to make the decisions. It's been a great series of write-ups: thanks.

Peter

MLB

Post by MLB » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:20 am

Peter wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:24 pm
Thinking about it, if you are on the receiving end of a pre-game barrage, you are probably under more pressure to deploy early, just in case you can't later on.
That is true to some extent, ultimately you need to make the judgement call. It also depends how the defender places JoPs. If you know your opponent may have the pre-game barrage then it's probably unwise to place them too far forward in case you have a problem deploying. The odds are that as time passes the chance of the turn ending increases, from either a triple 6 command roll or the use of a CoC die by the defender.

If you are up against the Russians and they have Wrath of the Gods then the odds are more against you and it pays to place JoPs deep so you don't gift them to the attacker.

Often a single deployed unit will be enough to slow an attacker down and with a 50/50 chance of deploying you have a pretty good chance of getting something on the table before the JoPs are threatened.

I think the real value of a pre-game barrage is simply to mess with your opponent's head and ramp up his level of uncertainty by forcing him into an earlier deployment than he may have wished.
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

OberstRothmann

Post by OberstRothmann » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:44 am

The pregame barrage combined with the potential for several free phases for the attacker in the patrol phase can have catastrophic consequences for the defender. Worst case scenario your opponent has charged down the table occupying or bypassing numerous positions possibly advantageous to the defender thereby cramping the defenders deployment and robbing certain support option picks of any real advantage ...I'm thinking in particular snipers, mortars and the like?

Even if this doomsday scenario doesn't unfold the defender can still be hamstrung by poor dice rolls in getting units on ...and the right units! Nothing more frustrating than sitting there with the perfect riposte yo your opponents move sitting off table unable to come on due to the effects of the barrage.

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:23 pm

Or because you keep throwing 4s.